Posted by Joe Sullivan, Globe Staff September 9, 2012 05:21 PM
Some Patriots odds and ends:
- The only active Patriots who didn’t see game action were backup QB Ryan Mallett and WR Greg Salas. Mallett did warm up in the first half after Tom Brady was sacked by the Titans’ Kamerion Wimbley. Brady had a bloody nose but did not miss a play.
- WR Wes Welker had a quiet game by Welker standards. He was targeted five times and caught three passes for 14 yards, with a long gainer of eight. On the other hand, TE Rob Gronkowski was targeted six times and caught six passes and one touchdown. The Gronk whiffed on his post-TD spike, however, as the ball slipped out of his hand.
- Rookie Tavon Wilson had his first NFL interception with a diving grab of a that bounced off Kyle Arrington in the end zone. Wilson had a regular role when the Patriots played five and six defensive backs in passing situations.
- Punter Zoltan Mesko was outstanding, except for one short punt of 28 yards. He still averaged 38.5 yards with a net of 33.5, including three punts inside the 20-yard line, which denied the Titans good field position. The Titans’ punter, Brett Kern, was booming them, averaging 52.4 per kick and 45.5 net with two inside the 20.
- Kickoff return duties were handled by Devin McCourty, who had one for 28 yards, and Matthew Slater, who had one for 19 yards. Julian Edelman returned punts. He had four for an average returned of 6.8 yards. He had one fumble, but it was bogus because he was interfered with and the Titans were penalized.
- Jerod Mayo was an active defender all over the field and was credited with nine unassisted tackled and four assists. McCourty was credit with five tackles.