Posted by Greg A. Bedard January 20, 2013 08:14 PM
FOXBOROUGH – Some thoughts as the Patriots lead the Ravens 13-7 at halftime:
- Outside of the Ravens having terrible field position the entire first half, this is about how I thought things would go. Each team would make a few plays, but for the most part these are two evenly matched teams without Rob Gronkowski.
- The Ravens have to feel really good about themselves that they’re only down six and they started their drives at the 13, 10, 8, 10 and 14 yard lines.
- Doesn’t look like the Patriots will have Aqib Talib (right hamstring) the rest of the game. If he couldn’t re-enter in the first half, not sure why he’d be able to do it later. Of course, I’m not a doctor.
- I don’t think the Talib injury affects much for the Patriots. They’ll still try to limit the big plays and play two deep safeties most of the time.
- Of course, the Ravens are dead set on taking the Patriots out of that by running the ball. Whether or not they can could determine the winner.
- Aaron Hernandez, who has been the offense so far, made a mistake not going out of bounds before halftime. Could have cost the Patriots four points.
- The Ravens have protected their quarterback better so far. We’ll have to see if that’s a factor.
- Brandon Lloyd’s going to continue to get opportunities. So far so good.
- The Patriots are going to hit a wheel route to one of the backs at some point.
- Great chess match between Tom Brady and the Ravens’ defense. Slight edge to Brady so far.