Posted by Greg A. Bedard April 27, 2013 12:03 AM
Here's a look at the Patriots' two picks in the third round, Rutgers teammates Logan Ryan (CB) and Duron Harmon (S).
CB LOGAN RYAN
- 5-11, 191 pounds, 4.53 in the 40.
- 31 1/2-inch arms, 9 1/2-inch hands, 32.5-inch vertical jump, 4.06 short shuttle, 6.69 three-cone.
- Came out after his junior season as a two-year starter.
- Just a really good, solid football player who doesn't really standout in any area other than toughness. He's not afraid of anybody.
- He's a lot like other Rutgers cornerbacks, including Devin McCourty. They're disciplined, play zone better than man, and tackle like demons. They're smart and don't take plays off.
- Also like McCourty, he plays a little stiff. McCourty is definitely faster.
- As far as his role with the Patriots, he's instantly the fourth corner ahead of Marquice Cole and should provide quality depth, which was needed.
S DURON HARMON
- 6-0, 192 pounds, 4.51 in the 40.
- 15 reps on bench, 36-inch vertical, 10-05 broad jump, 4.40 short shuttle, 7.02 three-cone.
- Really smart player. Made a lot of the calls in the back end. Being a deep, free safety is not his strength.
- Harmon is best closer to the line of scrimmage. He can cover tight ends and hits like a truck towards the sidelines.
- As far as his role with the Patriots, besides special teams, I think he fits best as the "money" dime back that Tavon Wilson played last season. If Wilson grabs the three-way competition between Adrian Wilson and Steve Gregory, Harmon is another option at money along with Adrian Wilson, Gregory, and Jamie Collins.