< Back to front page Text size +

Concussions won't slow Wes Welker down

Posted by Julian Benbow, Globe Staff  January 15, 2014 07:58 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

welker011514.jpg

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- If Wes Welker has to wear an oversized helmet in order to take the field for the playoffs, so be it.

After suffering a pair of concussions this season, the 32-year-old Broncos receiver took extra precaution for last week’s divisional round win over the Chargers, going up a size in helmets.

The switch wasn’t a major issue, and Welker finished with six catches for 38 yards and a touchdown.

''It was the helmet they recommended to me and it felt the same to me,'' said the former Patriots receiver. ''Supposedly it protects me more. I’m still playing, so that’s all I care about.''

After taking a huge hit from Titans defensive back Bernard Pollard at the beginning of December, Welker sat out the final three weeks of the regular season and also used Denver's bye week in the first round of the playoffs to recover.

It was the most time Welker had spent away from the football field in his 10-year career.

''I feel a lot better,'' he said. ''Taking five weeks off is a little bit different, but it's still good to get that game under your belt, and moving on to the next one is good and I’m really looking forward to the opportunity.''

With a chance to return to the Super Bowl, Welker said, he doesn’t expect his recent concussion history to affect the way he plays.

''At this point, AFC Championship game, all that stuff, I’m not worried about it at all,'' he said. ''I’m just going out there trying to get first downs, move the sticks, try to make plays for my team.''

News, analysis and commentary from Boston.com's staff writers and contributors, including Zuri Berry and Erik Frenz.

NFL video

Watch Patriots analysis and commentary by CineSport

browse this blog

by category
archives