The Patriots completed their roster cuts Saturday, getting down to 53 players while waiving two of their 2014 draft picks to do so.
Rookies Jon Halapio, a sixth round choice, and Jeremy Gallon, a seventh round pick, were waived Saturday along with three other previous draft picks. The Patriots cut wide receiver Josh Boyce, a 2013 fourth rounder, linebacker Steve Beauharnais, a 2013 seventh rounder, and defensive lineman Jake Bequette, a 2012 third rounder.
According to a league source, the team will "likely" keep wide receiver Brian Tyms. Tyms will not count against the team's 53-man roster while he serves a four-game suspension for banned substances. Similarly, Patriots cornerback Brandon Browner will not count toward to the team's roster for the same reason.
In addition, the team placed linebacker James Morris on injured reserve. He left Thursday's game against the New York Giants with an ankle injury.
Here are the Patriots cuts from Saturday:
- OG Jon Halapio
- DB Shamiel Gary
- WR Josh Boyce
- DB Daxton Swanson
- DL Jake Bequette
- LB Steve Beauharnais
- TE Steve Maneri
- LB/FB Taylor McCuller
- DL Jerel Worthy
- RB Jonas Gray
- WR Jeremy Gallon
- RB Roy Finch
- DB Kanorris Davis
- LB Ja’Gared Davis
- DL L.T. Tuipulotu
- OL Braxton Cave
- DL Eathyn Manumaleuna
- OL Chris Martin
- LS Danny Aiken
Some notes on the cuts:
- 27 players now on offense: 3 quarterbacks (Tom Brady, Ryan Mallett, Jimmy Garoppolo), 4 running backs (Stevan Ridley, Shane Vereen, James White, Brandon Bolden), 1 fullbacks (James Develin), 3 tight ends (Rob Gronkowski, Michael Hoomanawanui, Tim Wright), 6 wide receivers (Kenbrell Thompkins, Brandon LaFell, Aaron Dobson, Julian Edelman, Danny Amendola, Matthew Slater) and 10 offensive linemen (Nate Solder, Josh Kline, Dan Connolly, Ryan Wendell, Bryan Stork, Jordan Devey, Chris Barker, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon, Cameron Fleming).
- 24 players now on defense (in a 3-4 alignment): 6 defensive linemen (Vince Wilfork, Chris Jones, Joe Vellano, Sealver Siliga, Chandler Jones, Dominique Easley), 8 linebackers (Rob Ninkovich, Zach Moore, Darius Fleming, Dont’a Hightower, Michael Buchanan, Jerod Mayo, Chris White, Jamie Collins), 5 cornerbacks (Darrelle Revis, Logan Ryan, Alfonzo Dennard, Kyle Arrington, Malcolm Butler), 5 safeties (Devin McCourty, Nate Ebner, Patrick Chung, Duron Harmon, Tavon Wilson).
- 2 players on special teams: 1 kicker (Stephen Gostkowski), 1 punter (Ryan Allen).
- Players that were on the bubble that stuck: OL Chris Barker, DL Zach Moore, DB Tavon Wilson, CB Malcolm Butler, LB Darius Fleming, LB Chris White, and DL Michael Buchanan.
- OL Chris Martin, who did not practice this offseason with an unknown injury, could possibly have been waived with an injury designation. If that's the case, he could be converted to injured reserve after going through waivers.