OFFICIAL RULESBoston.com Football Squares Game
Online Entry Only
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER. Void where prohibited. By participating, you agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges and/or Sponsor, which are binding and final on matters relating to this Game. Game is subject to and shall be governed by all applicable United States federal, state, and local laws. Participation in the activity is open to the world; however, the prizes can be awarded only to those described under Eligibility in section 1 below.
1. ELIGIBILITY. The Game is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia (the "Territory") who are the legal age of majority in his/her state of residence (18; except Alabama and Nebraska, 19, and Mississippi, 21) at the time of Entry. Employees (and their immediate families (parent, child, spouse or sibling and their respective spouses, regardless of where they reside) and those living in their same households, whether or not related) of Boston.com and The Boston Globe ("Sponsor") and their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotion agencies are not eligible to enter.
2. ENTRY. Visit Boston.com between 10:00:01 a.m. Eastern Time ("ET") on January 9, 2013 and 6:29:00 p.m. ET on February 3, 2013 (the "Entry Period") and play the Game as directed online. Those who are eligible to win will be required to provide other pertinent information on the official entry form for the purpose of Game fulfillment. Your entry form and Game play shall hereinafter be referred to as the "Entry". All Entries for the Grand Prize must be received by 6:29:00 p.m. ET on February 3, 2013 to be eligible. Limit one (1) Entry per person/email address during the Entry Period. Entries generated by script, macro, or other automated means, or by any means which subvert the Entry process, are void. All Entries become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned.
3. HOW IT WORKS. Boston.com Football Squares is a popular football pastime; we are running three of them, all free, for the remaining NFL playoff games. There will be a maximum of fifty (50) entry sheets for each playoff game. All you have to do is pick one square, add your name, and sit back. Your square is good for all three playoff games. Once all the squares on a sheet have been selected or the scheduled playoff game begins (regardless of the number of squares filled), the randomizer will assign numbers from 0-9 for each team, filling in one row and column of numbers for each quarter. These numbers represent the last digit of the score for each team. At the end of each quarter, the name in the square located at the intersection of the two scores is the winner (subject to qualification). So if the score at the end of the 1st quarter is 14 for Team A, and 0 for Team B, then the winning square for that quarter will be the one with a Team A number of 4 and a Team B number of 0 (see example on the "Enter Picks" tab at the website). Since no one knows what numbers each square will represent, the odds are the same for everyone. Remember, just one square per person. On the Tuesday following the playoff game, Sponsor will clear the numbers, let any new players sign up who missed the Game (if there are any empty squares left), and generate a new set of numbers for the next playoff game. You have to pick your square just once. All eligible Entries whose square is the winner at the end of each of the first three quarters will receive one (1) entry in the random drawing for that game prize as well as one (1) entry in the Grand Prize random drawing, which will be held after the Big Game. All eligible Entries who are Winners of the final score of each playoff game will get two (2) entries in the random drawing for the game prize and (2) entries in the Grand Prize random drawing.
4. ODDS. Odds of winning a game prize will be no less than 1:250; the odds of winning the Grand Prize will be no less than 1:750. Unclaimed prizes will not be awarded.
5. POTENTIAL WINNER NOTIFICATION. Potential prize winners will be notified by e-mail and are required to respond to such notification within two (2) business days or be subject to disqualification by Sponsor. Secondary prizing will be mailed to the address indicated in the response to winning (no P.O. boxes) within two (2) weeks of your response. Prior to a potential Grand Prize winner being named an official winner, he/she will be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, a liability release, and, where lawful, a publicity release. If (i) such documents are not returned within the specified time period, (ii) prize notification is returned as undeliverable, or (iii) the potential Grand Prize winner is found to be ineligible or not in compliance with these rules, the Grand Prize will be forfeited at Sponsor's discretion, and an alternate winner may be selected at Sponsor's sole discretion.
6. PRIZES. Travel is solely the responsibility of the winner.
First round playoff prize winner: TBD.
Second round championship game: Two-night stay for two at the four-diamond Omni Mount Washington Hotel, including two ski tickets daily to Bretton Woods. Total value: $772.32.
The Big Game Feb. 3: Two-night stay for two at the four-diamond Omni Mount Washington Hotel, including full breakfast daily and two ski tickets daily to Bretton Woods. Total value: $859.52.
Grand Prize: Two-night stay for two at the four-diamond Omni Mount Washington Hotel, including full breakfast daily, two ski tickets daily to Bretton Woods, and two excursions on the Bretton Woods Canopy Tour. Total value: $1,057.52.
All prize packages are valid through 2012-13 ski season during non-holiday periods, subject to availability. Not valid 2/15-23. No refund or exchanges for unused portions of package. Valid for two people in Deluxe accommodations.
7. PRIZE LIMITATIONS. Limit one (1) prize per household. Actual value of the prizes may vary. Any difference between the stated value and actual value will not be awarded. Trip must be booked and taken during the 2012-2013 ski season. Prize is awarded "as is" with no warranty or guarantee, either express or implied by Sponsor. Winner may not substitute, assign, or transfer prize or redeem prize for cash, but Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to substitute prize (or portion thereof) with one of comparable or greater value. Sponsor reserves right to change dates. Winner and guests must travel together on the same itinerary. Guests must be of legal age of majority in his/her jurisdiction of residence, unless he/she is the child or legal ward of winner. If guest is the child or legal ward of winner, winner must sign and return release on behalf of such child or legal ward. All applicable federal, state, and local taxes and all other costs associated with prize acceptance and use not specified herein as being provided, including meals, souvenirs, gratuities etc. are solely the responsibility of the winners.
Lift tickets are subject to certain terms and conditions as specified thereon. Winner and guest must comply with all resort and lift rules and regulations. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of such portion of prize.
All prize details are at Sponsor's sole discretion. If, for any reason, any activity relating to the prizes or portion thereof is canceled or postponed, the balance of that prize will be awarded in full satisfaction of the prize.
8. PUBLICITY GRANT. By accepting a prize, except where legally prohibited, you grant permission for Sponsor and its designees to use your name, address (city and state), photograph, voice and/or other likeness, and prize information for advertising, trade, and promotional purposes without further compensation, in all media now known or hereafter discovered, worldwide in perpetuity, without notice or review or approval.
10. GENERAL CONDITIONS. By submitting your Entry, you agree that you are a legal resident of the 50 United States or District Of Columbia and that your Entry conforms to these Official Rules and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may disqualify your Entry for any reason at any time, including if it determines, in its sole discretion, that your Entry fails to conform to these Official Rules in any way or otherwise contains unacceptable content as determined by Sponsor, in its sole discretion. You agree that Released Parties (as defined below) are not responsible for any unauthorized use of Entries by third parties. By participating, you agree: (a) to abide by these Official Rules and decisions of Sponsor and judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects relating to this Game; (b) to release, indemnify, discharge and hold harmless Sponsor and its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotion agencies, and the respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees, agents and representatives of the forgoing (collectively, "Released Parties") from any and all claims, damages, expenses, costs (including reasonable attorneys' fees), injuries, liability (including settlements), losses and damages of any kind to persons, including death, or property resulting, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from your participation in the Game or the acceptance, possession, use or misuse of any of the awarded prize and (c) to the use of your name, voice, performance, photograph/video, image and/or likeness for programming, advertising, publicity and promotional purposes in any and all media, now or hereafter known, worldwide and on the Internet, and in perpetuity by Sponsor and its designees, without compensation (unless prohibited by law) or additional consents from you or any third party and without prior notice, approval or inspection, and to execute specific consent to such use if asked to do so. By participating, you also agree not to release any publicity or other materials on your own or through someone else regarding your participation in the Game without the prior consent of the Sponsor, which it may withhold in its sole discretion.
11. OWNERSHIP/USE OF ALL ENTRIES. By submitting an Entry, you hereby grant to Sponsor, and to its licensees, successors and assigns, and any person or entity acting on its behalf, the irrevocable right and license to use, publish, exploit, modify, edit, transmit and distribute your name and likeness, in any and all media now known or hereafter devised, worldwide, in perpetuity for any purposes without compensation, permission or notification to you or any third party.
12. MISCELLANEOUS. Released Parties are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, damaged, inaccurate, stolen, delayed, misdirected, undelivered, or garbled Entries; or for lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website, or other connections, availability or accessibility or miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines, or technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties, or other errors or difficulties of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, computer, network, typographical, printing or otherwise relating to or in connection with the Game, including, without limitation, errors or difficulties which may occur in connection with the administration of the Game, the processing or judging of Entries, the announcement of the prize or the winners. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Game. Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to any person's computer related to or resulting from participating in this Game or downloading materials from or use of the website. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Game or website, who act in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner or who are in violation of these Official Rules, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified and all associated Entries will be void. Should any portion of the Game be, in Sponsor's sole opinion, compromised by virus, worms, bugs, non-authorized human intervention or other causes which, in the sole opinion of the Sponsor, corrupt or impair the administration, security, fairness or proper play, or submission of Entries, Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Game and, if terminated, at its discretion, select the potential winner from all eligible, non-suspect Entries received prior to action taken using the judging procedure outlined above.
13. CAUTION. ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE GAME MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES AND OTHER REMEDIES (INCLUDING ATTORNEYS' FEES) FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
14. APPLICABLE LAWS AND JURISDICTION. This Game is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Issues concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules shall be governed by the laws of the State of Massachusetts, without regard to any principles of conflict of laws. All disputes arising out of or connected with this Game will be resolved individually, and without resort to class action, exclusively by a state or federal court located in Boston, Massachusetts. Should there be a conflict between the laws of the State of Massachusetts and any other laws, the conflict will be resolved in favor of the laws of the State of Massachusetts. To the extent permitted by applicable law, all judgments or awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket damages (excluding attorneys' fees) associated with participation in this Game and shall not include any indirect, punitive, incidental and/or consequential damages.
15. WINNERS NAME. For the name of the winner (available one week following the drawing), send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: Boston.com Marketing Dept., Football Squares Game, 135 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125, for receipt no later than 30 days following the selection of the winner.
16. HOSTING. Hosting of the "Boston.com Football Squares Game" is provided by Football Squares.net.
SPONSOR. Boston.com, 135 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125.