|Chairs thrown on the ground after play was suspended due to high winds during the second round of the Qatar Masters tournament at Doha Golf Club, Friday Feb. 3, 2012. (AP Photo/Osama Faisal)|
Play called off at Qatar Masters due to wind
DOHA, Qatar—European Tour officials reduced the Qatar Masters to 54 holes when they called off play Friday after strong winds moved golf balls and blowing sand reduced visibility on several holes.
Officials initially suspended play at 9:13 a.m. local time after gusts of up to 35 mph. Safety became an issue, with signs getting blown around.
Officials were hoping to resume play, but with no sign of a respite, they called off the round. Play will restart at 8:45 a.m. on Saturday.
First-round leader Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano dropped two shots on his first five holes to fall to 4 under through seven.
John Daly, who had yet to start his second round, was the clubhouse leader after his 5-under 67 on Thursday. A stroke behind were Fernandez-Castano, Jason Day (par through 6 holes) and K.J. Choi, who had yet to start.
Jose Manuel Lara of Spain, who shot a 9-over 81 on Thursday, withdrew Friday with a bad back.
Tournament director David Probyn said sponsors and those holding television rights wanted to end the tournament on Sunday, so it was reduced rather than postponed.
"There is no point in us putting the guys out on the questionable golf course for one or two hours because it is not going to change the situation in what we can achieve if we have to finish Sunday night," Probyn said. "We have taken a decision to suspend play and come back tomorrow morning."
Probyn said the winds hadn't damaged infrastructure but had caused balls to move on several greens. He said the weather forecast was for conditions to improve Saturday.
"We are really not expecting a problem. It will be maybe 20 mph maximum tomorrow, which should not be a problem for us," he said. "It has just been the gusts that have been over 35 mph today that have prevented us from playing."
About 66 golfers had started the second round before play was suspended, and most seemed relieved to leave Doha Golf Course.
Lee Westwood, who missed the cut last year and was 1 over for the tournament through six holes Friday, had already shifted to cheering on England's cricket team against Pakistan in a test in Dubai.
"No play today!," Westwood tweeted. "If I'm quick I might just get back to the hotel to see the end of England's innings! It's a good 15 mins back!"
Westwood said he felt the six holes he played Friday were manageable but admitted the European Tour had heard from other groups who had reported their balls had moved.
"It's a tough decision to make, really, for the tour when a course becomes unplayable," Westwood said. "The holes that we played ... the wind was playable and the ball wasn't moving on the green. But I understand the European Tour has to take the whole course into account and I think they mentioned 7 and 5 the ball was moving around."
Westwood said the "worst-case scenario" would have been to send himself and others in the early groups to finish their rounds and to allow those who hadn't started to play in easier conditions on Saturday. Suspending play for everyone, he said, was the "fairest outcome."
Follow Michael Casey on Twitter at https://twitter.com/mcasey1