Mike Komisarek's face, meet Milan Lucic's fist. (Barry Chin/Globe Staff)
For the first time since 1999, the Bruins have advanced to the second round.
That accomplishment was made even sweeter by drop-kicking the hated Habs out of the playoffs and ending their centennial. In four games, no less.
"We got beat by a better team," acknowledged Bob Gainey. "Sometimes we helped them. But that's how it was."
It was especially sweet revenge for Michael Ryder, who led the attack with two goals and an assist. Ryder finished the series with four goals and three helpers.
"It was definitely a good feeling to beat your old team here in Montreal and get the last one," said Ryder. "I've kind of forgotten about what happened last year. But it was good to beat your old team. I'm a Bruin now. It's a lot of fun."
* Milan Lucic emerged from the shower with stitches holding together a gash on his left cheek, courtesy of Mike Komisarek's third-period stickwork. A period earlier, Lucic caught Komisarek with a booming right to the chin. "There's two ways you can go about it," Lucic said of the fight. "You can go about it the cheap way and cross-check someone. Or you can do it the right way, the honorable way, and fight somebody with the gloves off."
* Looks like the Rangers could be the second-round opponent. New York leads Washington, 3-1.
* After taking some razzing from the crowd following a long-distance Mark Recchi shot, Carey Price lifted his arms and gestured to the fans. "I suppose he could have kept his cool," Gainey said. "But when you're being booed, if you don't stand up for yourself, who will do it?"
* The Bruins are off tomorrow (Thursday), which is Claude Julien's 49th birthday.
STICK SALUTE: David Krejci. Textbook forechecking leads to the game-changing first-period goals.
SIN BIN: Komisarek. No explanation necessary.
All done in Montreal. Bruins move on.
15:30 (3). A Guy, Guy, Guy chant. Now it's Carbo, Carbo, Carbo.
12:39 (3). Mike Komisarek goes high on Milan Lucic and draws blood. Five-minute major for Komisarek.
0:00 (3). Carey Price in the net to start the third.
20:00 (2). After two periods, Bruins with a 4-1 lead. Boos for the Canadiens as they leave the ice.
* The right fist that Milan Lucic put on Mike Komisarek's kisser is about as clean a shot that he's landed all season. Surprising that Komisarek didn't crumple after that punch.
* The guess here is that the Canadiens play it clean in the third period. Bob Gainey should make sure that no funny business takes place.
19:18 (2). Milan Lucic vs. Mike Komisarek. With a smile, Lucic delivers a straight right to Komisarek's chin.
16:29 (2). Big-time raspberry for Carey Price after he stopped a long-distance Mark Recchi flip.
16:29 (2). Dennis Wideman is back on the bench.
13:23 (2). Dennis Wideman to the room. Not sure if it's an equipment issue or an injury.
12:43 (2). Bruins, 4-1. David Krejci fakes the slapper and finds Michael Ryder at the far post.
11:58 (2). Bruins, 3-1. Phil Kessel steps out of the box, takes an indirect pass off the boards from Patrice Bergeron, and beats Carey Price.
6:15 (2). A foul-mouthed anti-Milan Lucic chant breaks out at the Bell.
3:38 (2). Lots of action. Stephane Yelle partial break, Josh Gorges with a ripper of a wrister, Phil Kessel with a partial break.
0:00 (2). Milan Lucic leading all players with four hits. Think he's happy to be playing tonight?
20:00 (1). After 20 minutes, Bruins with a 2-1 lead.
* Heck of a play by David Krejci on the go-ahead goal. Krejci blasts Christopher Higgins along the wall, gains control of the puck, and dishes to Michael Ryder. While Ryder goes wide to gain space, Krejci breaks for the net and receives a return pass. Two killer goals by the third line and two blasts to Montreal's gut.
* Alex Kovalev's last-second swipe looked like it was going wide of the net. But still a good play by Zdeno Chara to get his stick in front of Kovalev's attempt.
* Not sure why Marc Savard's wipeout of Tom Kostopoulos wasn't an interference penalty. By doing so, Savard prevented an odd-man rush.
* Aaron Ward took a Mike Komisarek shot off the foot. Ward was slowed for a moment but didn't seem to have any problems in the rest of the period.
17:27 (1). Tied, 1-1. David Krejci causes a Roman Hamrlik turnover. Michael Ryder with a quick snap shot. Deja vu.
11:19 (1). Montreal with a 13-4 shot advantage.
11:19 (1). Tim Thomas covers the puck. Guillaume Latendresse gets in Thomas's face, which draws the attention of Mark Stuart.
5:46 (1). Josh Gorges wipes out Milan Lucic with a hip check.
4:15 (1). Mark Stuart decks Alex Kovalev after the winger carries into the offensive zone.
2:38 (1). Habs are buzzing like they were in Monday's first period.
0:39 (1). Canadiens, 1-0. Saku Koivu leaves a drop pass for Andrei Kostitsyn, who whistles a shot past Tim Thomas.
0:00 (1). Far less booing tonight during the Star-Spangled Banner than there was on Monday.