After throwing the puck away in the second, Tuukka Rask paid for his mistake by fishing it out of his net. (Jim Davis/Globe Staff)
For the second straight game, a goalie's misplay blew up in the Bruins' faces. On a second-period dump-in, Tuukka Rask should have reversed the puck to Derek Morris behind the net. Instead, he threw it out the strong side through Zdeno Chara to Richard Park, who found Matt Moulson in front for the game-winning goal.
"Right now, those little details that have made us successful are not consistent right now," Claude Julien said. "Those little details that meant a lot to us that made differences in games. The first 10 minutes we started off, we looked good. We had a five-on-three where if we score on that, we have a different game. The importance of certain stages in the game are not resulting in what we are looking for. You end up flat after that, the other team comes back, and takes the lead on a miscommunication on the back end on the second goal."
* The Bruins put five pucks on goal during a 1:36 five-on-three in the first period and failed to score. "Let's put it this way," Julien said of the power play. "We are going to work on it."
* A whole lot of nothing yet again from Marco Sturm, Mark Recchi, and Michael Ryder (six shots total).
* The Bruins will practice tomorrow at 11:30 a.m. at Ristuccia Arena.
STICK SALUTE: David Krejci. Dynamic for 40 minutes.
SIN BIN: Patrice Bergeron. Didn't resemble the forward who's been the team's best player this season.
All done at the Garden. Islanders, 4-1.
16:44 (3). Hooking on Patrice Bergeron. About as rough a game as he's had all year.
12:55 (3). NYI timeout after an icing. Smart move by Scott Gordon.
11:58 (3). Heavy pressure by Vladimir Sobotka and linemates. A handful of good looks on Dwayne Roloson.
1:50 (3). Islanders, 3-1. John Tavares's shot goes off Matt Hunwick and past Tuukka Rask. Matt Moulson credited with the goal, his third of the night.
After 40 minutes, Islanders with a 2-1 lead. Killer of a late goal by Matt Moulson because of the Tuukka Rask giveaway. Rask has to connect with Zdeno Chara on that pass.
* Hard to believe David Krejci can come up with even more in the third period. Krejci has been electric through two periods. Unlike earlier in the season, he's been playing with an edge. Strong on the puck and skating with explosive power. Looks like he's finally getting comfortable.
* As a result of Krejci's play, Blake Wheeler has become even more dangerous on the wing and around the net. These two are flying. Michael Ryder is not.
18:49 (2). Islanders, 2-1. A bad giveaway by Tuukka Rask to Richard Park, who takes it off the wall and finds Matt Moulson in the slot. Good pressure on Rask by John Tavares.
17:12 (2). Reaction save by Tuukka Rask to stone John Tavares at the end of the PP. Big stop by Rask.
14:56 (2). Tied, 1-1. Daniel Paille's backhand goes in an instant before John Tavares knocks the net off. Terrific play by David Krejci to set up Paille, fighting off Tavares to sneak the pass to the wing. This has been Krejci's best game of the year.
7:20 (2). Another sparkling chance for Blake Wheeler in front after a David Krejci feed. These two are clicking like something.
5:18 (2). Daniel Paille draws a slashing call on Sean Bergenheim. Wipes out the bad cross-checking penalty by Mark Recchi earlier.
4:03 (2). Blake Wheeler draws an interference call on Matt Moulson. Another excellent shift by Wheeler and mates.
2:40 (2). Nice tip by Patrice Bergeron on Dennis Wideman's shot. Good stop by Dwayne Roloson.
After 20 minutes, Islanders with a 1-0 lead. Bruins had five shots during the five-on-three PP.
* Great job by Dwayne Roloson and the NYI PK during the power play. With the formation swung to the left (David Krejci popping out at the goal line), looked like the Islanders were content with giving Marco Sturm the backdoor. The Bruins could never get Sturm the puck for the tap-in.
* Good first period from Krejci. Looks like he's got that slippery approach going. Late in the first, he drew two defenders, then snuck a pass to Blake Wheeler for a scoring chance.
* The mild-mannered Wheeler gave Jon Sim a pop as the two skated off the ice. Wheeler has never gotten into a fight.
17:27 (1). Nothing on the five-on-three. Best look was a Dennis Wideman shot off the right post.
15:10 (1). Five-on-three for 1:36. Jack Hillen off for tripping Mark Recchi.
14:45 (1). Tripping on Freddy Meyer. Brad Marchand draws a penalty this time.
11:17 (1). Blake Wheeler's tip of a David Krejci feed goes just wide right. Nice middle drive by Wheeler.
10:18 (1). Shawn Thornton vs. Tim Jackman. Thornton asks Jackman to go, the Islander responds, and they engage in a good bout. Thornton with the upper hand and the takedown. After the fight, looked like Thornton acknowledged Jackman for giving him the fight.
6:00 (1). Islanders, 1-0. Matt Moulson crashes the net and takes the feed from Jack Hillen, who had jumped up and taken Matt Hunwick wide. Dennis Wideman and Patrice Bergeron fail to clear out the front of the net. All starts with an offensive-zone turnover.
0:34 (1). Scoring chance for David Krejci. All starts with good D-to-D passing between Matt Hunwick and Dennis Wideman, finding Krejci in the down-low pocket, and getting the puck up to Blake Wheeler. Textbook stuff.
0:00 (1). Trent Whitfield and Johnny Boychuk are the healthy scratches.