Posted by Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff December 19, 2009 06:49 PM
GettyTuukka Rask acknowledged he should have stopped Tomas Kaberle's game-winning shot in the second period. The puck glanced off Rask's glove and into the net.
But the Bruins didn't give Rask any offensive support, as Jonas Gustavsson earned his first career shutout.
"You don't want to take away credit from a guy who got a shutout," said Claude Julien. "But I don't think we tested him as much as we should have. That's our fault."
- Johnny Boychuk said he thought he threw a clean hit on Matt Stajan in the third period. Boychuk said he tried to keep his elbow tucked into his body to make sure it was legal. Boychuk had the backing of his coach, who said it was a good, head-on hit.
- Adam McQuaid played 9:42 in his NHL debut. McQuaid was on the ice for both Toronto goals.
- Andrew Ference led all Bruins with 28:22 of ice time.
STICK SALUTE: Vladimir Sobotka. Lots of jam and spunk from the fourth-line center, who had a team-high three shots.
SIN BIN: Marc Savard. One shot in 16:55 of ice time. No chemistry whatsoever with Marco Sturm and Michael Ryder.
All done in Toronto. Leafs, 2-0.
13:20 (3). Johnny Boychuk lays out Matt Stajan. Forearm to Stajan's face. Lots of blood.
9:43 (3). Leafs, 2-0. Jason Blake with a shot over the glove of Tuukka Rask and under the crossbar.
8:11 (3). Big-time stop by Tuukka Rask on Matt Stajan.
2:49 (3). Good grinding by the fourth line. Jonas Gustavsson with the glove save on Shawn Thornton.
After 40 minutes, Leafs with a 1-0 lead. Another ho-hum period.
- Zero offensive presence from Marc Savard's line. Might be time to put Patrice Bergeron on the right wing for the third period to see if they can get some offense going.
- David Krejci has been the team's best forward. His wingmen, however, aren't doing their part and finishing their setups.
- Some sharp play by Jonas Gustavsson. Far more composed than Vesa Toskala.
19:37 (2). Pileup in front of Tuukka Rask. Phil Kessel gets dumped from behind onto the pile.
12:32 (2). There goes the PP. Patrice Bergeron off for tripping.
12:10 (2). Shawn Thornton takes one in the face. High-sticking on Mikhail Grabovski.
11:35 (2). Jonas Gustavsson turns aside Steve Begin on a short-range chance. Begin is snakebitten.
10:50 (2). Jonas Gustavsson comes way out to stop Byron Bitz. Another nice feed by David Krejci.
6:31 (2). Excellent PK work so far. Bruins are winning battles and not letting the Leafs get decent looks.
2:48 (2). Four-minute PP for the Leafs. High-sticking double minor on Blake Wheeler.
2:24 (2). Leafs, 1-0. Tuukka Rask gets fooled on a Tomas Kaberle wrister.
After 20 minutes, no score. Sleepy game so far. Not surprising given both teams played road games last night.
- As usual, not much time nor space for Phil Kessel. Bruins are doing a good job keeping their gaps tight and getting their sticks on their former teammate.
- So far so good for Adam McQuaid in his NHL debut. Not doing anything fancy or playing outside his game.
- Good first period by Vladimir Sobotka. Lots of jam in his game tonight.
16:00 (1). Kick stop by Tuukka Rask on Mikhail Grabovski from the slot.
11:47 (1). Byron Bitz shoots wide from the slot. Clever feed by David Krejci.
10:12 (1). Luke Schenn flattens Vladimir Sobotka at the blue line. Payback for Sobotka's hit on Schenn earlier in the shift. Good jump for the fourth line.
8:00 (1). Phil Kessel drags the puck around a hit-the-deck Zdeno Chara. Kessel's shot goes wide.
7:12 (1). Stoppage as Zdeno Chara's wrister goes into Jeff Finger's pants. Boy, does that sound wrong.
5:21 (1). Multiple chances in front for Matt Stajan. Tuukka Rask square to the puck.
3:06 (1). Colton Orr flattens Adam McQuaid. Welcome to the NHL.
1:56 (1). No problems for the Bruins so far matching Zdeno Chara against Phil Kessel.
0:00 (1). Shawn Thornton and Colton Orr in the starting lineups. Maybe some early fireworks.