Charles Krupa/APFor the first time this season, the Bruins lost a game in which they held a lead after two periods. They are now 9-1-0 in games where they've led after 40 minutes.
"Losing battles. Losing races to the puck," Claude Julien said of his team in the third. "It's not a complicated game. You're not going to hear me get into the little details or X's and O's. It had nothing to do with that. They started coming at us."
- Tim Thomas was the hard-luck loser once again. Thomas couldn't do much to stop James van Riemsdyk's goal, which Julien said was a result of several lost puck battles. Thomas might have had time to readjust on Kimmo Timmonen's first goal, but the puck deflected off Blake Wheeler's glove. "I know he's not getting the breaks," Julien said. "It's mentally hard on him right now. At the same time, if you're just going to sit there and wait for the breaks to happen, it's not going to help."
- Looks like the Byron Bitz experiment might be over. Bitz couldn't bury a fabulous scoring chance in the first, and didn't have much offensive presence otherwise. Tough to criticize a grinder for not scoring, but as noted before, Bitz doesn't have the finish to have playing time alongside Marc Savard. "We're going to have to do something," Savard said. "Savvy is a guy that should lead our team in points. Somehow you have to get him guys that can put the puck in the net. We have a lot of guys who are not consistent in that area."
- Dennis Wideman didn't play in the third. Julien said Wideman's absence was not related to the shots he blocked in the first period.
STICK SALUTE: Jon Kalinski. Made the most of his 9:10 of ice time by winning races and entering the dirty areas.
SIN BIN: Rob Martell and Chris Rooney. Not the best refereeing in the first period.
All done at the Garden. Flyers, 3-1.
19:19 (3). Flyers, 3-1. Derek Morris rims the puck in, Kimmo Timmonen retrieves, and flings the puck into the empty net.
18:57 (3). Timeout Bruins.
18:57 (3). High stick on Scott Hartnell. One last PP chance for the Bruins to tie the game.
14:49 (3). Good down-low chance for Marco Sturm, but Brian Boucher covers. Flyers take exception to Shawn Thornton crashing the net.
10:28 (3). Flyers, 2-1. Kimmo Timmonen with a blast from the point. Looked like Timmonen's shot skimmed off Blake Wheeler's glove.
8:06 (3). Flyers turning up the heat on Tim Thomas. Danny Briere and Scott Hartnell applying pressure down low.
2:48 (3). Tied, 1-1. James van Riemsdyk takes a feed in front and goes upstairs on Tim Thomas. Not much Thomas could do to stop the rookie's attempt.
0:00 (3). Dennis Wideman will not return tonight because of an undisclosed injury. Wideman looked to be hurt while blocking a second-period shot.
After 40 minutes, Bruins with a 1-0 lead. That's one goal for Vladimir Sobotka. Two unofficially.
- Looked like Mark Recchi might have had more than an equipment problem. Recchi was flexing his left leg on the bench for the last few minutes of the second. Recchi appeared to be shaken up when he collided with Jeff Carter while going off for a change.
- A Mark Stuart D-zone turnover almost led to a goal by the Flyers. Tim Thomas covered the puck. Stuart has to be more careful with his decision-making with the puck.
18:32 (2). Bruins, 1-0. Shawn Thornton whirls around the net and throws the puck out front. Vladimir Sobotka, stationed in the slot, gets a piece of his stick on Thornton's fling and beats Brian Boucher.
15:20 (2). Steve Begin takes a shift in place of Mark Recchi. Recchi is sitting on the bench with his back to the ice. Looks like an equipment issue.
9:29 (2). Dennis Wideman is back on the bench. Looked like he missed a shift or two.
5:49 (2). Michael Ryder all alone in front. Puck dribbles off the backhand.
5:00 (2). Zdeno Chara dangles into the slot and puts a shot on goal that Brian Boucher turns aside.
2:40 (2). Riley Cote gives Shawn Thornton an after-whistle poke. Zdeno Chara gives Cote the business.
- With about four minutes remaining in the first, Marc Savard set up Byron Bitz for a glorious chance in front. Bitz shot it wide. I understand the concept of having Bitz with Savard -- big body, lots of hockey sense, defensively responsible, balances out the rest of the lineup -- but he doesn't have the hands to cash in his setup man's feeds.
- Daniel Paille has been skating on the No. 3 line with David Krejci and Michael Ryder. Vladimir Sobotka drops down to the fourth line with Steve Begin and Shawn Thornton.
- Not a good 20 minutes for refs Rob Martell and Chris Rooney. Sobotka should have been credited with a goal. They missed a Chris Pronger high-sticking on Marc Savard.
- Some heavy hitting during first intermission between the two youth hockey teams on the ice. More punches thrown during intermission than in the first period.
18:43 (1). Scott Hartnell and Vladimir Sobotka tagged with unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. Hartnell tried to get at Sobotka, but was intercepted by Mark Stuart. No gloves drop.
15:45 (1). Tim Thomas covers, ending the Philly PP. Excellent work by the penalty-killers.
15:00 (1). Stellar work by Dennis Wideman on the PP. Three consecutive blocks for Wideman.
13:38 (1). Mark Stuart to the box for cross-checking. Flyers with a 1:12 two-man advantage.
12:50 (1). Zdeno Chara to the box for roughing. Good job of agitating by Daniel Carcillo, but not much of a rough by Chara.
12:21 (1). Zdeno Chara and Patrice Bergeron matching against Dan Carcillo, Mike Richards, and Jeff Carter so far this period.
7:23 (1). There goes the Philly PP. Brian Boucher gets called for delay of game for handling a dump-in outside the trapezoid.
4:05 (1). Sharp save by Tim Thomas on Scott Hartnell's close-range tip.
2:15 (1). No goal, says referee Rob Martell. Vladimir Sobotka had pushed a backhand shot through Brian Boucher. Play was ruled dead.
Matt Hunwick is the healthy scratch.
(Barry Chin/Globe Staff)
News, analysis and commentary from the following Boston Globe writers:
Bruins Blog on your blog
An easy-to-install widget to get the list of our latest links on your blog (or your iGoogle page).