Posted by Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff January 1, 2010 01:17 PM
All done at Fenway. Bruins in OT, 2-1.
End of regulation
After 60 minutes, tied at 1-1. Still over a minute remaining on Danny Briere's tripping penalty.
18:35 (3). Huge mess in front of the Boston net. Somehow the puck stays out.
17:42 (3). Tied, 1-1. Derek Morris's PP blast hits Mark Recchi in front for the tip. Slick, slick passing by David Krejci and Patrice Bergeron.
16:08 (3). Kimmo Timonen off for tripping. Might be Boston's last chance.
15:20 (3). David Krejci shoots just wide right of the goal.
14:34 (3). Tim Thomas covers up. Doesn't look like the Bruins' day. Flyers not giving them any offensive sniffs.
12:00 (3). Johnny Boychuk with the drive off the draw. Save by Michael Leighton.
4:15 (3). Hooking on Daniel Carcillo. First PP for the Bruins.
2:15 (3). Marco Sturm with the long-distance SH bomb that nearly dribbles through Michael Leighton. Bonks off the right post.
0:00 (3). Mark Stuart, Milan Lucic, and Adam McQuaid, wearing their dark winter coats, have walked out of the dugout to applause from fans on the first-base side. The three players will watch the third period along the wall next to the Bruins bench.
After 40 minutes, Flyers with a 1-0 lead. Philly with the lead in shots, 18-15.
- Surprising to see the number of odd-numbered rushes the Bruins have given the Flyers. The Bruins have been careless with the puck today. If the Flyers bury their chances, this could be a 4-0 game.
- At the other end, the Bruins aren't putting any pressure on Michael Leighton and the Philly defense. Bruins need to throw more pucks on goal and keep attacking.
- Not much offensive presence by the Bruins in the Philly zone. Marc Savard hasn't had the puck too often.
15:40 (2). Point-blank chance for Simon Gagne after an offensive-zone draw. Save by Tim Thomas.
14:00 (2). Wretched turnover by Zdeno Chara leads to an Arron Asham breakaway. No dice for Asham.
10:30 (2). PP chance for Claude Giroux in the slot. Kick save by Tim Thomas.
10:00 (2). Great chance for Danny Briere after a Scott Hartnell feed.
7:46 (2). Claude Giroux on the breakaway, goes wide left.
6:41 (2). Today's attendance: 38,112. That number should quadruple just by the end of January as puckheads spin their yarns.
4:42 (2). Flyers, 1-0. As Tim Thomas throws a cross-check on Scott Hartnell, Danny Syvret slings a long-distance shot into the net.
1:15 (2). More work at the same faceoff dot.
After 20 minutes, no score. Bruins with a 9-6 shot advantage.
- Good action both ways. Philly came on with a surge late in the first.
- Pretty lively scrap between Shawn Thornton and Daniel Carcillo. That'll be on the highlight clips for a while.
- Ice staff continues to address a patch at the right faceoff dot in the Philly zone. Otherwise, ice looks pretty good.
16:57 (1). Tim Thomas smothers Chris Pronger's slap shot.
15:15 (1). Flareup between Ian Laperriere and David Krejci. Laperriere had dumped Krejci earlier.
14:31 (1). Ice repairs taking place at the right dot in the Philly zone.
14:31 (1). Close-range shot for Byron Bitz. As usual, solid cycling by the fourth line.
13:40 (1). Scoring chance for Scott Hartnell after wheeling around Zdeno Chara.
12:01 (1). Shawn Thornton vs. Daniel Carcillo. First Winter Classic fight. Both punchers land solid hits, with Carcillo ending the bout with an uppercut.
7:22 (1). Zdeno Chara blasts a shot out of the rink. Chara might be able to clear the Wall.
6:00 (1). Chance in front for Vladimir Sobotka. Starts with Sobotka muscling Kimmo Timmonen off the puck.
4:55 (1). Terrific up-and-down action. Ice looks great.
0:23 (1). Chris Pronger lays a big-time hit on Patrice Bergeron.
Adam McQuaid is the healthy scratch. Mika Pyorola, Riley Cote, and Ryan Parent out for the Flyers.