Posted by Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff February 7, 2010 02:52 PM
MONTREAL -- For the first time in 11 games, the tunes were rocking in the Bruins' dressing room (Snoop Dogg's Gin and Juice). Marco Sturm scored two goals, Adam McQuaid's first NHL strike was the game-winner, and Tuukka Rask blanked the Canadiens in his third straight start.
"Deja vu there for a little while," said Blake Wheeler. "It hit 2-0, then our game went south for a bit. To get that third goal, coupled with having Tuukka playing well back there, it really did boost the confidence a little bit."
- No doubt that Rask will get his fourth straight start on Tuesday against Buffalo. With any offensive help, Rask could have won his last three starts.
- Claude Julien said David Krejci suffered a minor injury. Julien said at this point, Krejci might be able to play on Tuesday. Krejci looked like he was favoring his right leg after a first-period hit.
- Andrew Ference reported no ill effects from playing in his first game since Jan. 5.
STICK SALUTE: McQuaid. Gets the GWG, but also applied critical back pressure on Tomas Plekanec's second-period breakaway.
SIN BIN: Andrei Markov. On the ice for two of Boston's three goals.
All done at the Bell Centre. Bruins, 3-0. The 10-game winless streak comes to a close.
15:10 (3). Big boomer by Derek Morris. Save by Jaroslav Halak.
11:59 (3). Two net-front tries for Daniel Paille.
9:49 (3). Bruins, 3-0. Marco Sturm's wrist shot from the slot deflects off Josh Gorges into the net. Second of the game for Sturm.
9:39 (3). Good pad work by Tuukka Rask to keep Scott Gomez from scoring.
5:55 (3). Derek Morris blocks a Ben Maxwell attempt.
3:40 (3). Jaroslav Halak gloves Michael Ryder's half-slapper.
2:15 (3). Ryan O'Byrne blasts Daniel Paille into the Montreal bench.
After 40 minutes, Bruins with a 2-0 lead. Canadiens with a 25-16 shot advantage (15-3 in the second).
- Far too many chances for the Canadiens in the second. Tomas Plekanec could have had three goals. Tuukka Rask has been monstrous.
- Dennis Wideman is rounding back into old form as the team's second-best defenseman. During the penalty kill, when he retrieved the puck behind the net, Wideman didn't panic and try flinging a pass out. Instead, Wideman dished a short pass to Zdeno Chara, who cleared the puck.
- Michael Ryder hasn't been as good today without David Krejci.
18:01 (2). Jaroslav Halak covers. Michael Ryder jamming at the rebound of a Zdeno Chara floater.
15:24 (2). Zero shots for the Bruins in the second. Canadiens with 11.
15:00 (2). David Krejci is officially out for the rest of the game.
14:44 (2). Tuukka Rask bricks up the net.
12:39 (2). Derek Morris off for tripping. First power play for either club.
11:19 (2). Tuukka Rask kicks out Tomas Plekanec's partial breakaway. Rask has stopped all 18 shots so far.
9:42 (2). Tuukka Rask silences an odd-man rush by gloving Tomas Plekanec's slot shot.
9:20 (2). Extended cycle by the fourth line.
5:19 (2). David Krejci is doubtful to return. No word on nature of Krejci's injury.
3:40 (2). Shawn Thornton has returned to the bench.
1:00 (2). No sign of Shawn Thornton.
0:00 (2). David Krejci has gone back to the room. Krejci came out, took a few spins, then returned to the room.
After 20 minutes, Bruins with a 2-0 lead.
- Not a good sign that David Krejci never returned. We'll have to see whether he comes out for the second. Krejci has been playing some of his best hockey lately.
- Good work by Mark Recchi on Marco Sturm's goal. Recchi was in his usual position in front of the net. Andrei Markov threw a hit on Recchi, which opened up Sturm to find Zdeno Chara's rebound.
- Andrew Ference looks OK through the first period.
19:56 (1). Bruins, 2-0. Jaroslav Halak stops Zdeno Chara's point wrister. But Marco Sturm on the doorstep for the rebound. Only 3.2 seconds remaining in the first.
17:32 (1). Bruins, 1-0. Adam McQuaid's point blast ticks off the stick of Ryan White and beats Jaroslav Halak. First career goal for McQuaid.
14:28 (1). Good chance for Daniel Paille, but Marc Savard's pass slips off his blade.
13:41 (1). Jaroslav Halak flashes a pad to stop Marco Sturm.
13:12 (1). Still no sign of David Krejci. Not an equipment issue.
12:17 (1). Blake Wheeler vs. Ryan O'Byrne. First NHL fight for Wheeler, and it's a brief one.
Graham Hughes/AP11:33 (1). David Krejci to the room. Krejci missed one shift. Looked like he was favoring his right leg.
10:38 (1). Kick save by Tuukka Rask on Brian Gionta.
4:23 (1). As usual, Maxim Lapierre chirping Zdeno Chara.
3:12 (1). First shift for Andrew Ference.
1:17 (1). Odd-man rush for the Canadiens. Matt Hunwick picks a bad time to jump up.
0:39 (1). Matching roughing minors to Marco Sturm and Scott Gomez.
0:30 (1). Chance in front for Mark Recchi.
Vladimir Sobotka and Byron Bitz are the healthy scratches.