In his closing remarks on the season, Peter Chiarelli noted that the Bruins are one of five teams that advanced to the second round in the last two years. However, given the up-and-down swings that took place in 2009-10, culminating in the Eastern Conference semifinals loss to Philadelphia, the inconsistencies will lead to offseason alterations.
"The variance between the ups and downs was too much," said Chiarelli. "We will look to make some changes. We'll go through the normal process of meeting with our pro scouts. We'll meet with Claude [Julien] and his staff. We'll be talking about the makeup of the team, personnel, style."
* Zdeno Chara will visit a hand specialist later this week to determine whether he will undergo surgery on his injured left pinkie. Chara said the best option is to forego surgery, but that he will consider every angle going forward.
* Dennis Seidenberg said his agent has started talking about a new deal with the Bruins. Seidenberg didn't enjoy going through free agency last summer, when he didn't sign with Florida until September. Seidenberg said he's rather get something done before July 1, when free agency opens.
* Shawn Thornton said he's unaware of any contract talks. Thornton will become an unrestricted free agent. Same story with Steve Begin, who hasn't heard anything about if he'll be back.
* Andrew Ference said he's scheduled for groin surgery later this week. Chiarelli estimated Ference's recovery and rehab will take between 6-8 weeks.
* Milan Lucic said he re-aggravated his left ankle sprain in the second-to-last regular-season game against Carolina when he scored the empty-net goal. Lucic said his ankle felt good against Philadelphia, but that it bothered him against Buffalo. Lucic said he'll be focusing on resistance training to strengthen the area around the ankle.