< Back to front page Text size +

Recchi happy to be back

Posted by Fluto Shinzawa, Globe Staff  June 28, 2010 12:40 PM

E-mail this article

Invalid E-mail address
Invalid E-mail address

Sending your article

Mark Recchi, officially back in the fold today after agreeing to a one-year extension ($1.7 million approximate cap hit) last week, expressed his excitement about 2010-11 during a conference call.

"I'm excited about the opportunity to come back," Recchi said. "I think the Bruins are continually going in the right direction. I'm excited about the moves to be part of the Boston Bruins again."

Recchi said he decided to return to Boston following exit interviews with Peter Chiarelli and Claude Julien.

"I had some great conversations with Peter," said Recchi. "I really like the direction he wanted to go. He had a great feel for what was needed. When you hear that -- now, not everything might work out the way he wants to -- about what the dressing room needed, what the players needed, and how he has a great understanding of it, that was exciting to me. I think there's unfinished business. I've never been so disappointed to end the way we did. But with what he's planning to do and what he's done, getting the second pick, we're continuing to get better. I think we'll be a little bit younger and a little bit faster. I think we'll be a better hockey team."

* Recchi acknowledged hearing the chatter about Marc Savard being traded, which would open up room for David Krejci, Patrice Bergeron, and Tyler Seguin to be the top three centers. "I really like Savvy," Recchi said. "You never know what's going to happen. General managers explore everything. If there's a viable option to move Marc Savard, he's obviously got to look at it. He might be looking for a different dynamic."

News, analysis and commentary from the following Boston Globe writers:

NHL video

archives

browse this blog

by category