The Bruins tonight released a statement in reference to a report on ESPNBoston.com that center Marc Savard could miss the upcoming NHL season with post-concussion syndrome.
"As I stated on Friday, Marc Savard is suffering from symptoms related to post-concussion syndrome," Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli said in the statement. "He is under the care of our doctors. Any reports that suggest that there are any other issues regarding Marc, or him not playing for the Bruins this season, are completely inaccurate."
"Also, as I have previously stated, when there is a change in Marc's status, I will issue an update."
The post-concussion symptoms have kept Savard away from Bruins camp. The Globe reported Sunday that the Bruins center went home to Peterborough, Ontario over the weekend after meeting with three doctors Friday at MGH for neuropsychological exams. Savard was expected back by today and has not returned, but Chiarelli said early this evening that Savard is expected back in Boston later this week.
Of the lingering symptoms, a team source told ESPNBoston's Joe McDonald, "It's not a good situation. It's complex. Not sure how this will play out."