What color
do you bleed?

Welcome to OT

Posted by Mark Cofman September 25, 2008 06:08 AM

We're the new kid on the block, and we'd like to take this opportunity to introduce ourselves.

OT coverWe're OT, as in "Our Town, Our Teams," ready to offer a fresh perspective, keen analysis and inside information on Boston's Big Four -- the Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins. So, now you know our name. As for you, well, truth be told, no introduction is necessary. We're fairly certain we know who you are. You're the greatest sports fans in the world, living in the greatest sports town on earth, during a renaissance period for our professional teams. We've been watching you very closely for a long time now, and we think that in addition to a beer or two, you're thirsty for a provocative weekly sports publication designed specifically for a fan's fan. The hard-core, Boston-baked fan.

So who makes up OT, and what exactly is our upstart publication all about? In the simplest terms, we're sports nuts just like you. We can't get enough of the finer things in life, which means Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics and Bruins with a healthy side order of more of the same. We're about the honest, hard-hitting, entertaining and always original writing of award-winning columnists Tony Massarotti, Charles P. Pierce and Chad Finn. We're all about in-depth coverage of Boston's marquee franchises from a stable of talented beat writers who can and will, at times, be a bit offbeat. We're your weekly guide to the Boston professional sporting scene and beyond, with some edge, some humor and plenty of food for thought about the teams you keep so close to your heart. We'll give you inside rumors, anecdotes and a look at the lighter side of the athletes and teams you love to follow and talk about. And we'll be seeing you each Thursday, too, which means we'll have you locked and loaded for the weekend in sports.

In the future, this space will be devoted entirely to you -- our audience. In the likely event you have something to say about the current state of affairs of the Red Sox, tell us. Perhaps you've diagrammed the X's and O's to send the Patriots back to the Super Bowl without Tom Brady calling the signals? Let's hear your strategy, coach. If you've already mapped out the route for a repeat performance by the Celtics and an 18th championship banner hanging from the Garden rafters this season, please, show us the way. And by all means, if you're a general manager trapped in a hockey aficionado's body, and you've figured out how to fix the Bruins? Don't keep it a secret. Use our OT feedback as your springboard to the front office. Or to simply get something off your chest.

Don't be shy about telling us what you think -- about the teams we live and die with here in the Hub, or about our publication and the lineup of writers we've assembled to keep you entertained each week. Bottom line: When it comes to all things Boston sports, we really want to know what's on your mind. We've called this sports-crazy operation "Our Town, Our Teams." But make no mistake -- this is your publication. Your undying passion for Boston's big-time teams is our foundation. And it will serve as our lifeblood. I guess you could say we're all in this together. And we here at OT are looking forward to a long and enjoyable relationship.

1. Will the new blog include information on sports analytics? That's what we really need. There's plenty of opinions, rumors and gossip out there already in the media.

Posted by steve September 25, 08 11:07 AM
  1. Mark - I have to suffer the indignity of living in New Jersey (no I didn't lose a bet, just have to pay the mortgage) and want to order OT for home delivery. Will this be possible? If so, please provide a link on the OT site for "subscriptions"

Thanks

Posted by Mike September 25, 08 11:09 AM
  1. That's what I'm thinking ... There's enough crap out there. This just looks like it will add to the pile. Not a good idea, Globe...

Posted by JD September 25, 08 12:46 PM
  1. Hey Globe...a great idea!!!
    The newspaper business has got to adapt to the times and rather than simply read the sports page at lunchtime, I'll now be able to get my local sports blog fix during the day...before I get home to chill at my computer. Now I'll be able to read printed pages instead of falling asleep staring at my monitor.

Posted by al jayson September 25, 08 08:20 PM
  1. I too have the indignity of living in New Jersey. Red Sox fans in NJ unite!! I too would love to be able to subscribe to this? Or will the site/blog have the articles in the magazine?

Posted by Stephen Clark September 25, 08 09:07 PM
  1. This thing is going on my favorites just for the promise of another Pierce column.

Posted by ozzy September 26, 08 04:49 AM
  1. I am from Boston and currently living in Ireland. Would it possible to subscribe to OT and have it mailed to Ireland on a weekly basis. If so any idea on the cost.

Thanks

Posted by Robbert Solari September 26, 08 05:55 AM
  1. A little late to the ball my friends ; ) but I do love your featured Columnists and Beat Writers (good grab on your part with the Scott Souza hiring!) Good luck with your OT Mag!

Posted by New England Sports Blog September 26, 08 07:36 AM
  1. how do i get it.

Posted by rbk September 26, 08 09:29 PM
  1. Hope this is available in Central Ma ans Southern NH

Posted by Yanks Fan September 27, 08 04:38 PM
  1. If Pierce is the writer, can I get it in soft cotton, rolled format? That guy sucks.

Posted by Dr Hook September 29, 08 02:15 PM

1. Hey Mark-Sounds amazing! Can't wait to see more!
    Ice Litvack

Posted by Shaye Litvack October 5, 08 11:42 PM
  1. As a longtime Globe subscriber from WAY OUT here in Fitchburg (we don't even get a regional section!), I'm disappointed but not surprised that you have not set-up a distribution agreement with anyone in our twin cities of Fitchburg or Leominster nor put it in our paper...NOT EVEN SUBSCRIPTION INFO!!!!

Come on!!!!

Posted by DAVID M. ROTH October 9, 08 01:09 PM
  1. I am a long time subscriber of the Boston Globe and I was excited some weeks back that a new supplemental sports section "OT" would be available on thursdays!! However ,despite numerous phone calls over the last two weeks as to why I am not receiving this on thursdays,everyone is clueless at your "call center" as
    to what I am talking about.To a person, including supervisors,I have requested to talk with ,are completely unaware of the new "OT".I find this utterly preposterous and "mind boggling" that you people are so inept!!! What is going on over there!!!!

Posted by Brian Condron October 16, 08 09:52 AM
  1. I'm a displaced Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins fan living in the (not-so) great Midwest. Can I subscribe to get OT via snail mail?

Posted by Brian G. Walsh October 16, 08 09:53 AM