What color
do you bleed?

Secretary of Duh-fense

Posted by Charles P. Pierce September 25, 2008 06:07 AM

The first thing that always comes to mind whenever I greet the grand new blooming day is, "Gee, I wonder what Curt Schilling is thinking about things this morning?" Is it Our Nation's Economic Crisis? I go to the 38pitches blog and learn that Curt has posted a piece from the Bloomberg News Service in which Democrats are to blame. (The author, whose byline Curt fails to include in what I am sure is an unfortunate oversight, is Kevin Hassett, who is one of the economic advisors to Republican candidate John McCain. Quelle surprise, as they say around the batting cage.) Is it The War of Civilizations? Curt agrees with William (Nickel Slots) Bennett and some retired generals about who's a sheep and who's a wolf. (Turns out, we're sheep and we should watch out for wolves. Our soldiers are sheepdogs. Curt considers this very profound. You couldn't make this stuff up.) Or maybe I'll tune in to Curt's weekly discussion of professionalism with the sports-radio METCO Gorilla Morning Zoo Crew and find out what the ex post facto departed-teammate slander of the day is. After all of this, I take an aspirin or five and go back to bed, because it seems like a better option to me than driving tenpenny nails into my eyes.

Curt Schilling
(OT digital illustration)
The man is an endless delight, I tell you. OK, eventually he gets to the point where he's the guy who comes rolling in at happy hour and who, three hours later, still full of whiskey and opinions, wonders why everybody's moved down to the other end of the bar. But he's never had an opinion on anything that he didn't drape in pink neon and hang from the town clock. Take it all as entertainment -- and, Lord save us, why would you take it any other way? -- Curt Schilling as a Serious Man of Serious Purpose is as much fun to watch as the carnival chicken who plays tic-tac-toe. You stand there for a while, fascinated, but then you move on down the midway a bit. Which is to say that it would be to everybody's benefit if Curt and his opinions would absent themselves to the Fox News Channel or to the moons of Neptune until the elections are over and the Red Sox are finished with this baseball playoff business. If he doesn't, it's going to be a long couple of months.

A little over a week ago, obviously taking a break from his regular national-security briefings, Curt unlimbered himself on the subject of Manny Ramirez, who had not been a member of the Red Sox for over a month. Curt explained that his former teammates had been calling to him out of the bowels of the hell that Ramirez had created out of the delicate infrastructure that is the Red Sox clubhouse, and that Manny's "level of disrespect to teammates and people was unfathomable." Of course, Curt then goes on, at length, to fathom it.

Now is not the time to go through the endless saga that is the end of Manny's tenure here. There's been enough moaning from the pundit fainting couch about that. The Red Sox had to do what they did, and they made the best deal they could have made under the circumstances. The fact remains that the resurgence of the Red Sox, and the first two world championships they'd won since the Wilson Administration, all hang on the acquisition first of Manny Ramirez and then of Curt Schilling. The first guy's one of the best right-handed hitters who ever lived, and he also happens to be a world-class whackadoo. The other guy is one of the best postseason pitchers who ever lived, and he also thinks he's Secretary Of Defense. They're both first-ballot Hall of Famers, unless the Maiden Aunt faction among the baseball writers gets all vaporous about Ramirez. They're twinned forever in the town's history. Life's a funny old dog.

There was absolutely no reason for Schilling to exhume all this ill will a month later. (Well, I can think of one reason, but asking Curt Schilling to substitute self-aggrandizement for discretion is like asking a goose to abandon honking in order to whistle Mozart.) In the first place, in his travels from Philadelphia to Arizona to Boston, Schilling himself didn't exactly leave all of his own former teammates in bowls of bitter tears. In the second place, the one thing the Red Sox didn't need coming into the stretch was to relive, even by radio proxy, the whole Ramirez mishegas. But he couldn't help himself. He really couldn't, even though, as he said, "I haven't thrown a freakin' pitch all year. I've been the biggest waste of space, I've been robbing the payroll the entire season, no one feels worse about not contributing than me."

Poor lad. Imagine the dark nights of the soul that Curt suffers through every time that check comes to his door. How does he ever manage to bring himself to cash it? Does he go to the bank in a raincoat and a false beard? He managed to collect his money for not playing, and then also give himself the credit for, you know, really being bummed about the whole deal. (He's learned one thing being around John McCain, that's for sure.) Look. Wow. The chicken just put an X in the center square!

OT columnist Charles P. Pierce is a Boston Globe Magazine staff writer.

1. Charlie, I couldn't have put it better myself [wish I could]. Old Bloodysock just can't go out and leave us with all them great memories of '04 [and '07 to a lesser extent]. He now has to justify his support of the worst president in the nations' history with more blather about "fundamentally-sound-hundred year war McCain". I never was in it so I really wouldn't know, but it must be tough to leave the limelight for a guy who's done so much for our nation. All I ever did was answer the draft [reluctantly]. Hey but I ain't got a ring for playing a childs game so what the hell would I know about life.... Right on the nosey Charlie, keep puncturing them fat-headed blowhards.

Posted by George Yeomans September 25, 08 08:57 AM
  1. A certain Boston radio station recently extended it's signal across the border to us hics here in Maine.
    I've tuned in a coupla times to the Morning Show, only to scratch my head in simian confusion at what I was hearing when Rev. Curt comes on the air. This is "Sportstalk"? Ripping on Joe Biden and the "Democrat" Party? Plugging Sarah "the Moosehunter" Palin?
    Um, I thought Boston was a sophisticated Sports town.
    I mean, we have half the number of pro teams in the Big Four than New York/New Jerseyans do, and still we consistently outperform our brethren to the South. Yet all this success doesn't seem to be enough for some folk.
    Curt fills a void I guess.
    But for my time (and money) Dr. Pierce is the Man!
    Whether in print form, or with Bob Ryan on the air, his words are a gift.
    Thanks for the OT!

Posted by tj breen September 25, 08 09:13 AM
  1. I wonder what Curt is doing NOW??

Posted by Kevin September 25, 08 09:16 AM
  1. THANK YOU! Finally someone in the media who isn't afraid to call out Schilling for what he is. A high school educated man with an overinflated sense of self importance who is lucky he's never had to rely on his intellect for a paycheck.

Posted by Michael September 25, 08 09:18 AM
  1. Jesus, you talk about Curt. I really couldn't care less about what Schilling knows, or doesn't know, about the state of the union. What's more of an affront is your writing. It's the worst kind of cheeky "Aren't I clever" drivel. "Quelle surprise"?! Chucky, drop your laptop and step away from the mirror. You're not that fabulous. Maybe you can get a gig with The Inside Track.

Posted by John Updike September 25, 08 09:20 AM
  1. Wow. You're really smart, Charlie. Did you go to school or something?...

It seems that you have "out-Schillinged" Curt Schilling...congratulations. I'm sure you are very happy with yourself.

Posted by JimMeyers September 25, 08 09:22 AM
  1. Hilarious! The biggest problem with Curt is he doesn't do any research, he just spouts nonsense with no facts to back it up. A republican tactic for sure.

Posted by Jabberwocky Trout September 25, 08 09:24 AM
  1. This is laugh out loud funny. Itt's usually amusing when someone realy good at something thinks they are as good at everything else.

Posted by Chris Moner September 25, 08 09:25 AM
  1. Oh, typical of the Globe...inject a dig against Senator McCain wherever the opportunity arises...or in this case....manufacture the opportunity. I thought we were talking sports here!

And what makes you so certain, Charles, that Curt is a first ballot Hall of Famer? (skip the -, it is unnecessary) There are many with considerable baseball knowledge who dissagree.

Ahh for the Days of Ray Fitzgerald.....bright, witty and with no agenda beyond giving the readers the best he had to offer.

Those were the days my friend.

Posted by R.J. Goodwin September 25, 08 09:25 AM
  1. charlie - you should go back to drinking full time (or whatever it is you've been doing since you last worked in boston sports). are you going to complain when theo and the boys get down on their knees for barack? only in boston could you frame a sports piece around the "democrats are always right" position. and schill didn't want to sit around all year collecting a paycheck - he wanted to get surgery early and have a chance to pitch late. it was the sox who cost themselves any chance of him pitching this year. and the article itself was terrible from a content and style perspective. you need to either start drinking a whole lot more or a whole lot less.

Posted by Dave September 25, 08 09:27 AM
  1. BRILLIANT!!

Posted by Steve September 25, 08 09:30 AM
  1. Funny...I don't look to Curt Schilling for news or political views.....or Matt Damon for that matter. I only notice that Curt has said something when someone from the Globe (usually Shaugnessy) points it out. Why are you people so scared of him?
    Is 38Pitches really gaining some ground and getting some readers who matter?
    I wouldn't think so.
    I mean....you actually took time from your day to write this piece. Is it that important that we know what Curt is saying?

Posted by Bill September 25, 08 09:32 AM
  1. haha, those last two comments are hilarious.

too many people running around with an enlarged sense of their self-importance.

Posted by Nomah September 25, 08 09:34 AM
  1. haha, those last two comments are hilarious.

too many people running around with an enlarged sense of their self-importance.

Posted by Nomah September 25, 08 09:34 AM
  1. Curt Shilling? Why is he relevant, I thought he retired.

lol

Posted by Tim Dee September 25, 08 09:34 AM
  1. This piece is brilliant and right on the money.

I respect and appreciate Schiling for all he did for the Red Sox-- as a PITCHER.

As for his blowhard opinions OFF THE FIELD, the guy is an embarrasment.

In that same "interview" with the two right wing nuts on EEI, he said he didn't know why people paid attention to what he had to say, anyway, because he's just a ballplayer, blah blah blah.

Ok, Curt, so if that's the case, why did you go stumping for Bush in Ohio four years ago? Why are you spouting off on your blog and stumping for McCain now? If nobody cares, why bother?

I wish nobody DID care. Unfortunately, there are a lot of fools out there who DO give his opinions credence.

When you talk baseball, Curt, you're a joy to listen to. You are a student of the game, and it can be an education to hear your take on things.

When you stray off that subject, however, you sound like an idiot.

Posted by Matt Talvi September 25, 08 09:35 AM
  1. seems that bloggers/writers all think that they have something smart to say and others are to be rediculed for having the audacity to have something to say. you tools are cannibals and I could care less for your political differences, which is obviously the reason for your anger with Curt. Personally, I enjoy it when players are actually honest. We spend all this time making fun of them for being lame in interviews and always saying the same catchphrases. When one finally does talk out of school or has an opinion, somehow writers (like Shaunnessey the holier than thou ass) turn on them. I just dont get it. look in the mirror you hack.

Posted by george l September 25, 08 09:42 AM
  1. Charlie - loved this! Sitting in a meeting taking notes on the laptop and trying (desperately) to not laugh out loud. "Man of Serious Purpose" indeed.

Posted by MadMags September 25, 08 09:44 AM
  1. Could we please stifle the idea that people dislike Schilling only because he's a Republican? He can not keep his mouth shut to save his life. Great pitcher, but the man needs a muzzle and a broken keyboard. I need to hear his opinions on Manny, Obama and Kobe Bryant like I need a hole drilled in my head.
    BTW: Golf Boy and the Giant Forehead has to be the worst radio show in the history of WEEI, and that's saying something. Maybe they should take the Metco bus instead...

Posted by Jon September 25, 08 09:49 AM
  1. Wow! You must be the world champion of cheap shots. First you want to deny Schilling his first amendment right to free speech, then drop a dime on Bill Bennett’s betting habits, and follow up with an out of hand dismissal of retired senior military officers. After that you leave the implication that Curt is a loud mouth alcoholic. Why? Just because Curt and the others don't agree with you? Did you ever imagine that Schilling commented on Manny because some member of the press asked him his opinion? As for politics, Bill Bradley and Tom McMillan did all right in that arena when their playing days were through.

You have every right to disagree with the politics involved, but your argument would be more persuasive if you left out all the snide innuendo.

Posted by Joseph Kilbane September 25, 08 09:50 AM
  1. I am not sure that Schill is destined for the HOF. I am certain that he is not a first ballot lock.

Posted by Danny Noonan September 25, 08 09:54 AM
  1. I can't believe Schilling gets this kind of pub from people who think he is so useless and who find his opinions so invalid. If you want him to be quiet, don't listen. (See: Gore, Al)

Posted by Brian September 25, 08 09:55 AM
  1. Sorry, you criticize Schilling for posting an article on his website that was also posted on Bloomberg because the source is biased?! Physician heel thyself. You had no specific rebuttal or intelligent thoughts about the issue - just an occasion to use a paragraph of silly metaphors. There's a lot of very serious problems right now and reactions to points from either side that merely politicize the response but don't respond to the substance are not helpful.

I'm not a McCain supporter, but the article in question would be a great debate question and would certainly produce an intelligent response from Obama. Too bad we got nothing but a sophomoric personal attack from Mr. Pierce.

Mr Pierce you didn't have anything new to say or of substance to add to the conversation so you've effectively regurgitated what you are ridiculing as diarrhea of the mouth. Gross.

Posted by Sully September 25, 08 09:56 AM
  1. This is yet another slam-the-right (or should I say anything not on the far, far left)
    vehicle for the Globe. As if I haven't had enough excuses to cancel my subscription already.

Here's an idea: why don't you folks give our credit card numbers to Obama instead of just the people of Worcester next time?

So long...

Posted by Angry Subscriber September 25, 08 09:57 AM
  1. very funny....

Posted by Chip September 25, 08 10:02 AM
  1. As usual, Charlie hits the bulls-eye. As an athlete, Schilling is second-to-none. But if Schilling is going to constantly volunteer his (sometimes ill-informed) opinions on such a wide range of non-baseball topics, then Schilling (and his defenders) should realize he opens himself up to this sort of criticism and yes, occasionally, ridicule.

And why is it that it's fine for Schilling to blab incessantly about his political views, but it's somehow NOT acceptable for a Globe writer to respond?

Posted by Derek September 25, 08 10:04 AM
  1. So, you choose to write a web published, opinion centered column about Curt Schilling's own, web published, opinion centered blog, in which, you, like he with other subjects you reference, deride him. I'd wonder what you'd write about if Curt didn't have his blog, but I've been a Globe subscriber during the majority of your tenure so unfortunately I know-nothing of substance. How is it great writers like Edes, and Peter May have left, and you somehow remain, and seem to think you're the Jimmy Breslin of Boston? Please take the golden parachute like MacMullen and spare us any further self-aggrandizement.

Posted by Macphisto September 25, 08 10:09 AM
  1. Charlie Pierce - what a clown!

When asked by the media, Schilling gives his opinion on Manny. He doesn't give a non-answer by speaking in cliches - he gives an honest answer. Schilling didn't bring up the subject - he was asked. He did not duck the question - refreshing.

But because Schilling's political opinions are not in line with the Globe/New York Times left wing agenda he gets ridiculed by the "shut up and just pitch" crowd. I don't recall anyone criticizing Doug Flutie while he campaigned for Hillary Clinton.

Schilling puts himself out there with his blog and offers fans an insight/perspective they wouldn't otherwise have. I think it's refreshing.

It's amusing that the elitist, John-Kerry type liberals have so much venom towards him because of politics.

Thanks Curt for all the charity work you do. Hope you pitch for the Sox again. Will never forget you sucking it up in 2004 to get the Sox over the hump.

Posted by Steve Kavanagh September 25, 08 10:10 AM
  1. why don't you go on Keith Obermann's show along with Bill Maher and the rest of the moonbats ;Charlie you have to live in Cambridge; the Manny thing had to do with trying to get along with this idiot savant while he was with the team;thats why nothing was said till he left......Oh and invite Alec Baldwin to come on too !!

Posted by billcrooz September 25, 08 10:14 AM
  1. Ahhh! It is so refreshing these days to be able to sit and read an article that doesn't have any type of slant to it in any way. That is to say why would anybody want to hear what a somewhat retired jock has to say when he clearly speaks from the right side of the aisle when we could just pick up the NY Times err, the Boston Globe and and read what some guy that we barely remember has to say on any given issue from the left (and apparently always correct) side.
    Let me add that when Curt "didn't exactly leave all of his own former teammates in bowls of bitter tears" it didn't really equate to quitting on an entire team, organization and region of overcharged fans while collecting $20mill. Being a professional doesn't always mandate everybody you work with becomes your buddy but it does mandate that you put forth an effort for your check.

Posted by Shinny September 25, 08 10:15 AM
  1. Who let a Republican in this state? SHOOT HIM! He's suppressing my freedom of diversity!

Posted by Ghost of Johnny Most September 25, 08 10:16 AM
  1. Thanks for perpetuating an already tired subject. Oh, and throwing in unnecessary political commentary in a supposed sports article.

By the way, I don't know many professional sports writers who consider Schilling a lock for the Hall of Fame, never mind first ballot. So I'm guessing like many other Bostonians who like to dwell on the negative aspects of the Red Sox, you know little about baseball to begin with.

Posted by Andrew September 25, 08 10:23 AM
  1. BRAVO! This is absolutely brilliant. From now on when people ask me how I feel about Curt Schilling, I'm just going to send them a link to this article.

Posted by Shane September 25, 08 10:24 AM
  1. I can certainly understand why you and most of the socialists in this room dont like C.S's opinions, as he is very conservative. But I gotta tell ya, I agree with 99% of what he says and does. he is honest, direct, and stands for what he believes in. Unlike many Puss Wads, he says what he feels. I love Curt first and foremost for what he did for the Sox, and I have his back on other issues too. Dan Shaughnessy and you can go vote for Obama in a few weeks, get your taxes jacked thru the stratosphere, and watch governemnt expant bigger than bartolo Colon's gut for all I care. Curt is one of the last few who doesn't follow the freaking company script during an interview. And he (further) exposed Manny for being the selfish jackass he is.

Posted by Dr Hook September 25, 08 10:24 AM
  1. Unbelievable. Every response to this article is so full of hypocrisy. What makes Charlie Pierce any more credible about anything than Curt Schilling? Because he can write a properly constructed sentence? Some of these leftie blowhards are extending written butt kisses Pierce's way while tearing into Schilling all while Mr. Pierce is doing the exact same thing Schill does. Writing about something else that someone might be interested in. Schill speaks to D and C (he's asked the questions by the way and he gives answers). Charlie speaks the the Globe 10.0. Curt blogs. Charlie blogs? What is the difference? Oh yeah, I forgot. You don't agree with what he has to say. Damn that Constitution and all the freedom of the press and speech garbage.

Posted by paul white September 25, 08 10:27 AM
  1. Schill started his blog because he wanted to have his own opinion out there--unfiltered, unspun, etc. Shame on the LIBERAL LEFT for persecuting him for being honest and direct. I love the big lug.

Posted by ZerObama September 25, 08 10:29 AM
  1. Every fool on this page is involved in the same conjecture Curt is being ridiculed for. Bottom line is your all blowhard douche bags. Now that I've piped in, apparently I'm one as well.

Posted by Mark September 25, 08 10:30 AM
  1. Please forgive me, BUT WHO THE HECK IS CHARLIE PIERCE?? Honestly, I never heard of him, so he must not be very significant.

Posted by Mary Cranston September 25, 08 10:33 AM
  1. "BRAVO! This is absolutely brilliant. From now on when people ask me how I feel about Curt Schilling, I'm just going to send them a link to this article."

Great Idea! It soooo beats sharing your own thoughts through cumbersome nouns, verbs etc. From now on when someone asks me what took me so long in the restroom I'm just going to send them a link to this article.

Posted by Shinny September 25, 08 10:34 AM
  1. It's funny to hear you people defend Curt... you have be republicans to agree with a blowhard, know it all, who thinks everyone who disagrees with him. I don't know about all of you, but that sounds like a Republican to me. People listen more for shock value than to gain insight. He may be a community guy and he's done a lot of work for charity, but he's still a loud mouth who, like someone else stated, has an overblown sense of self importance. No one cares anymore Curt!

Posted by Bones September 25, 08 10:34 AM
  1. And people wonder why I moved from Taxachusetts?

Boy, there is nothing more amusing than a mad, frothing, rabid, card-carrying, socialist from Taxachusetts waving the big liberal flag.

Posted by ampoule September 25, 08 10:35 AM

Posted by Shinny September 25, 08 10:36 AM

1. I actually enjoy Curt in the car when he calls WEEI. Sure he I think his political views are wrong, but the man can be funny. I just wish WEEI would get rid of the dimwits in the morning radio show, they are just boring

Posted by James E Stevenson September 25, 08 10:40 AM
  1. Great piece, Charlie.

I've found the comments to be almost as entertaining. Specifically the knuckle-dragging commentors who equate intelligence with a pejorative.

Posted by Paul Tremblay September 25, 08 10:43 AM
  1. I don't like Curt Schilling because we knew that Curt has been used the "DRUGS" during 2004 AL Champion. I don't agree with what he has to say about Manny or Roger Clemens. Let Manny and Roger alone, that there problems. Curt's problem is SPEAK UP AND TELL US THE TRUE....

Posted by John September 25, 08 10:44 AM
  1. The only thing more out-of-date than Schilling writing about Ramirez is Pierce writing about Schilling. Hasn't anything else happened in the last 6 months?

Pierce's smug writing is not only dated, but it is grating (insert parenthetical reference to obscure fact to make self look intelligent here). Pierce should be the one feeling guilty about taking a paycheck.

Posted by Mikey September 25, 08 10:47 AM
  1. You right wingers don't get it do you? He's not being persecuted for his politics: he's being persecuted because he has no idea when to shut up and he honestly thinks we're all hanging on his every word. Why is he bringing up Manny at all? He's not on the team any more. Let me repeat this for the people who still think WEEI has relevance: MANNY IS NOT ON THE TEAM ANY MORE.

Could Curt even pick Jason Bay out of a line up? When's the last time he was even IN the Red Sox clubhosue? Or is he as out of touch as some of the Howie the Pink Hamster wannabe's here commenting on Charlie's article?

Posted by Jon September 25, 08 10:50 AM
  1. Schilling has every right to say whatever he wants.

And I have every right to call him an uneducated boor.

Just because someone is a professional athlete does not mean they know anything about anything.

It just means more people will yak about what he said.

Next year we won't have to hear it any longer.

Schill and the republicans that threw this country in the garbage deserve each other.

Register to vote... help get the vote out and help educate the nimrods that believe EVEYTHING they read or hear.

To Mr. Schilling.... go away. Your moment in the sun is soooo over.

Posted by Guido September 25, 08 10:53 AM
  1. Ampoule, if your so glad you left "Taxachusetts", why are you still trolling here? Shouldn't you be griping on your new homestate's website, the The Alabama Lyncher Daily News?

Posted by Vote4Obama...WatchtheGOPcry September 25, 08 10:53 AM
  1. Hey Bones,

If you don't care about what Schilling says why do you listen and why does it bother you so much?

If it was Alec Baldwin on the other hand people around here would be celebrating his eclectic opinion.

Liberals they are all for free speech.........until you challenge their views with your own.....that is why I have had my McCain sign kicked down on my lawn twice! bottles trhow bottles thrown

Posted by FZappa September 25, 08 10:55 AM
  1. You left wingers don't get it. Unlike all you socialists, Schill doesn't spin anything but a baseball. He's a real man with big cajones. He says publicly what you PUSS WADS say from behind a computer.

Posted by Dr Hook September 25, 08 10:55 AM
  1. Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself. Schilling, please go away and take that wife of yours with you.

Posted by Vincent September 25, 08 10:56 AM
  1. I find it a bit tiresome that writers like Pierce are constantly writing and wining about Schilling being a blowhard, etc. So what? If you don't like the guy don't read 38 pitches or listen to WEEI. Whether or not you agree with him at least he has something to say. The fact that everyone seems to talk about his comments so much only makes him more effective and likely to speak out.

And yes, if he was a liberal I doubt these writers would be so bothered by him

Posted by Bud September 25, 08 11:03 AM
  1. Curt Schilling is a big LOSER! Curt should returen his 2004 World Series Ring back.. He had been using medial drugs for his ankle. CHEATER!

Posted by Michael September 25, 08 11:09 AM
  1. Wow. Maybe the guy should be a community organizer, then run for President. God Bless you left wingers. Enjoy your welfare and other entitlements.

Posted by ZerObama September 25, 08 11:09 AM
  1. Awesome piece, Charlie. I have 38 Pitches in my newsreader because every so often Schilling might say something interesting about baseball. But his cut and pasting of the RNC talking points is getting ridiculous. If I thought Schilling really understood the issues that would be one thing, but he is just spouting off whatever he heard on Fox News or Rush.

And as for the rest of you who have a problem with Charlie's piece - if you don't like it, start your own blog. That's the beauty of this internet thing. We can all get our opinions out there.

And if you haven't heard of Charlie, you really should check out his biography of Tom Brady.

Posted by Dan September 25, 08 11:10 AM
  1. #9, have you ever listened to the morning show on 'EEI? "I thought we were talking sports here" is what I ask every morning on my ride to work.

Rush Limbaugh is more subtle in spouting his black and white view of the world, right-wing dogma than Gerry Callahan is.

Posted by JAM September 25, 08 11:10 AM
  1. I guess the Globe lowered their standards when this guy was hired!

Posted by Fred Rohrbacher September 25, 08 11:11 AM
  1. Curt loves 'DRUGS" Steriods.......

Posted by John September 25, 08 11:12 AM
  1. Okay, as this has become a political flap--why is it that nearly every blogger commenting from the "right" has some kind of curse word or less-than-classy language in his/her post? Didn't the conservatives used to cling to the morality and decency platform? Could it perhaps have something to do with the relative strength of their arguments? Hmmm.
    Also, there is a difference between a sports article/story and a column, which is what this piece clearly is. A column is supposed to express opinion. Pierce is behaving like a responsible American by expressing his opinion, Shilling is behaving like a responsible American by expressing his and you are all behaving like responsible Americans by expressing yours. Lace your expression with venom and anger, however, and you risk being considered a weak thinker and being dismissed right along with whatever points you were trying to make.

Posted by dbamagnet September 25, 08 11:12 AM
  1. Curt - I'm with ya, man. U got more talent in your right ankle than this schmoe or any of these posters can ever dream of. Thanks for the World Series. - A Bosox fan who was smart enough to get the h_ll out Boston AKA Ho Chi Minh City.

Posted by GMan2 September 25, 08 11:22 AM
  1. Schilling , quite frankly, is a better writer and lots more entertaining than Charlie Pierce

Posted by Your Mom September 25, 08 11:22 AM
  1. Yawn*. Your article is boring. I'm not a fan of his politics but I respect his opinions. And, I find the usual weekly complaints about Schillings blowhardedness to be old.

Posted by mjb September 25, 08 11:26 AM
  1. Excellent piece & also a great side critique of the of the soccer-mom republicans shallow understanding of their importance in society or of how to achieve meaningful change for the better.

The great ballplayers stick to their business (Williams,Babe, Yaz, Jeter) & didn't need to spout their cock-eyed views from a pedestal to every Tom , Dick & Harry.....

This said, Manny (first) and then Curt (2nd) are the 2 players mostly responsible for ending the curse...for which I am very, very grateful.

Still , Schilling should keep quiet & take time for some more serious reflection about the world's problems and everyone's limited ability to change things. In the end , we can only put the best educated persons in position of trust and let them do their best....If they fail- so be it...

It's time for a change......

PP

Posted by Pierre Pages September 25, 08 11:28 AM
  1. Dr. Hook

I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, that your career is also long over. What was "Sylvia's Mother", like, thirty years ago? :)

And I so love how people sling the terms "left-winger" and "socialists" around, mostly post 9/11, like it is a racial slur.

It shows real dignity and courage... from behind your computer.

Because, after all, what a lovely job all the "right-wingers" and "conservatives" have done to this country and this world.

Nice work, Hook!

Posted by Guido September 25, 08 11:30 AM
  1. So Vincent comments on Schill's wife. Who is more standup? Schill, or Vincent for taking shots at Schill's wife from behind a computer? You're weak, Vincent. I have great respect for Schill. Your character has cancer, Vincent.

Posted by Mike Elliott September 25, 08 11:36 AM
  1. And we should listen to you because you're a sports-writer? Same for Hollywood - I should listen to them, why?

Uh, no thanks.

Posted by ME September 25, 08 11:38 AM
  1. I am a bleeding-heart liberal and disapprove of almost everything that comes out of Schilling's mouth, but damn if that guy isn't hilariously entertaining! I wouldn't change him for the world.

Posted by Serena September 25, 08 11:39 AM
  1. Jon - "he's being persecuted because he has no idea when to shut up and he honestly thinks we're all hanging on his every word."

Funny how we persecute a pitcher for not knowing when to shut up, and then persecute a Presidential or VP candidate for the opposite: not responding to every single question and inquiry shouted at her from a press corp that continues to ask questions 90% of America could care less about.

You have it wrong - they *are* persecuted by the media for their politics and for not meeting the media's standards for what they want to see from a public figure.

Posted by Andrew September 25, 08 11:46 AM
  1. We are all tired of right-wing blowhards like those writing comments above.

You have had your 8 years in power and have left the country in ruins.

What is worse is that u have been duped by your own leaders and do not even realize it.

Why don't you all go up to Alaska and we can sell it back to the russians....

Rgds
    Pierre

Posted by Pierre Pages September 25, 08 11:50 AM
  1. charlie who??

Posted by aL gOre September 25, 08 11:50 AM
  1. Hmmmm let me see, a blog post a week and a half after the fact complaining about Schilling commenting about Manny after the fact? Are you kidding me?

And this blog really has the stones to include a link to where I can buy a print copy?

I demand an apology

Posted by Jason September 25, 08 11:50 AM
  1. Bud....nice comment! Excellent. Curt rules!

Posted by Schilling in the Hall September 25, 08 11:50 AM
  1. Charlie, your column does no service to whatever point you are trying to make, oh you clever lad, you! Aren't you the cheeky sophicsticate! Look, we should judge Schill by what he did ON THE FIELD. Without the big lug (as CHB likes to call him) our Red Sox would not own 2 World Series championships in 4 years, and we would still be battling the Cubs for most futile sports franchise. Let Curt alone. I will admit that his self-aggrandizing gets to the point of bloviating at times (hey Charlie, am I keeping up on witty repartee here?........), but he was paid to win ballgames and he did it better than anyone else when it mattered. Enough of his politics. Bill Lee was pretty much the same but on the left and yes, a little nuttier. But the guy could pitch and he knew how to win big games. Just like Curt. So lay off the political side, OK? This is baseball.

Posted by Pete G. a.k.a. "Sofachi" September 25, 08 11:50 AM
  1. I don't like Schilling's politics but he has just as much right to express his (erroneous) views as Pierce, who always seems so mean spirited.

Posted by Lillian September 25, 08 11:54 AM
  1. If Schilling sang a left-wing tune, doughboy Pierce and everygbody else at the Globe would be casting him as "refreshingly honest" and "politically aware."

Posted by lunk September 25, 08 11:59 AM
  1. Oh bravo Charles! Way to put that big meany Curt in his place. We need more open minded thinkers like you, Matt Damon, Paris Hilton, and Jane Fonda.

(BTW, Curt is not a 1st ballot hall of famer - go talk about things you probably understand a lot better than sports like fashion, musicals, and pumpkin chai lattes, you whiny little puke)

Posted by Frenchy the Frenchman September 25, 08 12:02 PM
  1. Hmmm. Hollywood liberals voice their opinion and get nothing but praise. Athlete does the same and gets abused. Seems like fairness in reporting to me!

Posted by B September 25, 08 12:02 PM
  1. Chickenhawk Schilling
    Never served a day in uniform
    Hey, let someone else get shot up
    He is too busy making millions

Posted by Neil Rice September 25, 08 12:03 PM
  1. Perhaps you don't understand moron.

First - He is still doing the show because any money he receives goes to his foundation - I am sorry if the fact that he is giving to charity by giving his opinions does not bother me.
    Second - You guys kill people for not speaking their mind and then when they do, but have the audacity to not agree with you, the globe then rips them.
    Third - Stop me if you've heard this one - Globe opinion writer comes out against conservatism/republicanism......

Posted by Michael Coles September 25, 08 12:07 PM
  1. Charlie, I was wondering if you'd gotten the latest shipment of clothes from Goodwill for your wardrobe.

Posted by Dave September 25, 08 12:09 PM
  1. Schilling doesn't like it when people criticize him. Then he sets up a blog to air his view.
    The first amendment goes both ways. He can say what he likes, we can criticize him for it. It's a very simply concept even for us - hee hee - Puss wads.

Posted by Jon September 25, 08 12:13 PM
  1. I do not know this writer Charles Pierce but I must confess that, with respect to Curt Schilling, Mr. Pierce has assessed his propensity to speak incessantly, obviously in love with the ring of his own voice, prior to the engagment of his thought making process... I am particularly fond of the the well turned phrase concerning Mr. Schilling's obvious temporary departure form his national security briefings, very funny stuff.

Mr. Schilling reminds me of a dinosaur: huge body, brain the size of a pea.

Mr. Pierce please allow me to introduce myself as your new fan.

Posted by Jeff Baker September 25, 08 12:17 PM
  1. People here bashing Schilling simply don't like him because he holds a conservative viewpoint....something at least 50% of our country also does. But because he doesn't follow Theo and Co. lockstep in their quest to get the Liberal of the day elected to the White House, he gets trashed. I guess this isn't a surprise since the bulk of NE tends to sit far to the left.

With the exception of one or two comments, I don't see many of you Obamaniacs even mentioning the hate-filled rants your hometown boys Damon and Affleck go on when asked about anyone to the right of center. Hypocrites, all of you.

Posted by Dave September 25, 08 12:17 PM
  1. If Curt were stumping for the Dems you would praise him to no end. As a recent military retiree I KNOW the Reps take better care of the GIs so maybe eveeryone especially those in the public eye kept their opinion to themselves. USA!

Posted by Craig Breen September 25, 08 12:29 PM
  1. It blows my mind how contradictary people can be. Mr. Charles "liberal" Pierce (although I'm not sure he's deserved of Mr.) blasts Schilling for sharing opinions of his conservative beliefs, yet Charlotte Pierce tries to subject us to his own views.

Although I don't necessarily support the fact that Schilling had to answer the Manny questions, I do understand and respect his responses. 1 - as a teammate, it is never appropriate to come out and blast your teammate to the public, thus a month after the teammate is gone appears reasonable. 2 - his honesty and straight-forwardness should be commended, otherwise what the hell would a shmuck writer like yourself have to blog about?

Posted by Sox Fan September 25, 08 12:35 PM
  1. Schilling a first-ballot HOFer? Not even close.

Posted by Puffy71 September 25, 08 12:57 PM
  1. After all said and done, our six sextillion, 660 quintillion ton globe continues to rotate on its assigned axis, and revolve in its assigned orbit around the sun with such precision that earth's teeming billions are reduced to a "drop in the bucket", or as an "exhalation" by the One who created and who sustains his unfathomable universe.

Posted by Les September 25, 08 01:00 PM
  1. Right now.....I am thinking how I would love to have this man, sign with the New York Yankees....and bring the right wing doctrine to those bleeding arse liberals and watch him rant and rave each week against the dems and hillary in my beloved home state of New York!

Go Curt!!!!

Posted by mudbugger September 25, 08 01:04 PM
  1. It is interesting that something that so many people say is over and irrelevant ( Manny, Schill and Schills' thoughts ) is causing so much controversy. I left England because of pillock politicians, became a Sox Fan in '99 and love what Schill did. I loved what Manny did too, for a while. Great thing about America, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's an opinion, doesn't mean it's fact. Now, my opinion, if Obama gets in, I'm buggering off again he's a plonker and a half. More importantly, please, if you plan on posting stuff online, make it readable and correctly spelled. Thanks and God Bless you all. ( yes, even yankee fans )

Posted by Bri September 25, 08 01:14 PM
  1. "Seriously, who are you? I guess I need to watch Globe 10.0 more often because I've never heard of you before."

No, it's because he tends to write for publications that allow (perhaps even encourage, in their weaker moments) the use of polysyllabic words, metaphor and art. AKA, "PUSS WADS" who don't have the guts to go on a message board to call out people for being on message boards.

Posted by Tom September 25, 08 01:17 PM
  1. Conservatives have always seemed to me to be logical. But liberals are always off the point, changing the subject and very emotional. They are PUSS WADS, too.

Posted by Dr Hook September 25, 08 01:32 PM
  1. Hey Zappa, I thought you were dead? In all seriousness, I don't condone that behavior but to generalize like it only happens to one side is pretty narrow minded. I lived in Dupage county, IL a couple years back and supported Tammy Duckworth and not only was my sign knocked down, someone ran it over with their car! And that was in my yard.... There are idiots on both sides.... it's just Curt (the big idiot) has a forum called sports radio. I don't listen to him at all. I just think he needs to go away.... most of the commentary around country regardind Curt is consistent, and it goes something like this.... "shut up Curt!!" And that's nothing new Frank... people have been telling him to shut up for years. It's just that because he's spouting crap you agree with, it's ok.

All you repub's are the same... you can do what you want and say what you want about people but the second the mud gets slung the other way, you guys play the victim. Like with Palin.... you all jumped all over Hilary but now it's hands off with Sarah.

Posted by Bones September 25, 08 01:36 PM
  1. Les, have another scotch, take down your Hillary 08 bumper sticker, and pull your pants back up.

Posted by aL gOre September 25, 08 01:42 PM
  1. Guido: The move to Cuba, you socialist. and yes, where I come from, socilaism sucked. It sucked the life out of my family. You are indeed a Pass wad

Posted by Dr Hook September 25, 08 01:55 PM
  1. The Liberals didn't even want Hillary. She should go away and take her husband with her. he is a puss wad too.

Posted by aL gOre September 25, 08 01:58 PM
  1. Thank goodness most folks have the common sense to see thru all the political hogwash nonsense slung around by the left wing. They need some new cigar-hiding tricks, too.

Posted by ZerObama September 25, 08 02:00 PM
  1. Jeff Baker reminds me of Andy Pettitte's a** -- Big, smelly, and injected with something.

Posted by Dr Hook September 25, 08 02:02 PM
  1. Who has less to say, Curt Schilling or Charles Pierce? Has to be a dead heat. They should make a "Let's Both of Us Shut Up" pact and sign it in blood.

An aside: I once worked with an old editor who was at the Herald during CP's tenure as a sports columnist. He said Pierce was an excellent columnist when he stuck to sports, but was unreadable when he strayed into the world of politics. Wish he had had a little influence on old Charlie back in the early days.

Posted by rpc September 25, 08 02:07 PM
  1. Charlie who? Boy, he sucks as a writer. I guess this is the kind of crap you can expect from the Globe. No thanks, I pass.

Posted by Kiggy September 25, 08 02:14 PM
  1. If Schilling were a left-wing Democrat and had posted some economic write-up from an Obama advisor, would you have written this article? I doubt it. Admit it. You hate Schilling because he's an opinionated Republican and in your mind, Republicans should not be seen nor heard.

Posted by Fred Garvin September 25, 08 02:28 PM
  1. To Charlie #85 the military guy. Are you confusing the Republicans patting you on the back and waving flags as you go off to war with the party (Democratic) that fights for your health and medical and financial issues when you get back home and are "useless" to the right wing war mongers?

The Dems are more in your corner than you think. Do some reading on this, instead of listening and watching FOX News or Right Wing Radio.

Posted by Matt Talvi September 25, 08 02:37 PM
  1. Like the old saying goes. If you are young and not liberal, you don't have a heart. If you are old and still a liberal, you don't have a brain. How old are you, Charlie?

Posted by not a liberal lemming September 25, 08 02:40 PM
  1. Let's see ... busted shoulder from 20 years of pitching at a high level ... yeah, that might render me inoperable for a summer at my age (which is Curt's age) ... son of a former Air Force master sergeant who was involved in Special Forces ... nah, he knows nothing about what it's like out there ... nothing at all. Riiigghhtttt.
    I'll win a World Series with 25 Schillings. I'll win something a lot more serious with a lot more of men like him, too.

Posted by bradwellspy September 25, 08 02:44 PM
  1. Charlie: Glad to see that you'll have a regular forum (and perhaps a ready source/artesian well of references for lengthening that Esquire article provided by the friendly comments section here)...that said, trust you won't always be shooting fish in a barrel....epee v. saber would have been more of a stretch...and probably more interesting....shoot hoops;not Curt

Posted by jphelan September 25, 08 03:15 PM
  1. Charlie, Curt is a blowhard, no doubt about it, but you are just another condescending liberal snob; you fit in just fine at the Globe. Curt's mouth is big but so is his heart; ask all the ALS patients on whose behalf he tirelessly advocates. You bleeding hearts think you have a monopoly on positive social activism and advocacy. Typical.

Posted by Patrick September 25, 08 03:23 PM
  1. Dr. Hook, do you even know what 'polysyllabic' means? I didn't think so.

Posted by Smarter Than You September 25, 08 03:24 PM
  1. Charlie -
    Watching you on 10.0 is painful enough, especially when you're sportin' the ponytail. You're old, Charlie....you're not "cool" anymore. Further, as you're obviously a typical leftist whacko, you have no appreciation for a person who speaks his mind...yes, Schilling talks a lot, but what of it? Doesn't he have free speech? Oh, waitaminute, I forgot...free speech is the sole province of liberals....free speech is correct, as long as it agrees with what you happen to think. Personally, I think a man who speaks his mind is refreshing. Sometimes even I don't agree with everything he says, but he has a right to speak. What about his efforts for those with ALS, much of which you know nothing about? What about what he did for those three little boys who just lost their dad in a helicopter crash, removed from the eye of the media? I think that men who criticize other men like him are the ones who are insecure about their own weaknesses and have a hard time acknowledging the fact that they can't stand up by themselves in that fashion. Stop believing in your own "liberal-chic intelligence" and just be a regular guy.

Posted by feen the dog September 25, 08 03:35 PM
  1. Pierce,
    With all due respect, why do you give a crap what Schilling says? It never ceases to amaze me how worked up people get about athletes' (and sportswriters') opinions on stuff they have not been trained to offer an opinion on.

For example, sportswriters constantly feel entitled to offer extended diatribes about "race and sports" or "patriotism and sports" or "gender and sports" when mostly they've been trained in a pre-professional discipline to write 200 word columns about minor league baseball teams. When I'm looking for insight into and analysis of Sean Taylor's death, I don't read sportswriters. And when I want to learn about the proposed "bailout," I don't read Curt Schilling.

Yes, I wish he didn't write those things about Manny. And yes, he's an annoying twit. But I also wish sportswriters wouldn't talk so much about what he says.

Posted by Josh September 25, 08 03:38 PM
  1. First off, Curt Schilling is the answer to the question no one asked.

Secondly, Pierce has every (First Amendment) right to espouse his views in this magazine as Schilling does with his blog, so the hypocrites can pipe down.

Posted by Frank September 25, 08 04:22 PM
  1. Curt Schilling will not be a first ballot HOFer. In fact, he's a fringe candidate to get in at all.

Posted by Jesse September 25, 08 04:36 PM
  1. Quite the stream of consciousness you have there, Bradwell. Could you clarify your point by actually linking your sentences?

Posted by Frank September 25, 08 04:50 PM
  1. How often does the Globe require you to insert radical left-wing comments into your sports writing?

Posted by Norman Humer September 25, 08 05:11 PM
  1. Frank,

You don't get it. He throws shots a Schill for speaking his mind, fine, I get it. 1st Amendment rights understood.

Question to you - are the posters on this thread not afforded the same 1st amendment rights???...or should they all just "pipe down"?... Please tell us, Judge Ginsburg.

Posted by JimMeyers September 25, 08 05:18 PM
  1. What I truly admire about the overwhelming number of "conservative" commentators here is their complete lack of understanding of "free speech". It's heroic, really, how painfully ignorant you are about the basics of civics and how you seem to revel in it.

The First Amendment is a protection against government censorship -- not one guy telling another guy to 'shut up'. I don't care is Schilling's a Bircher or just another ill-informed noob, nothing Pierce has written here is any way an attack on 38's free speech. Instead, it's a consequence of it. Others like Pierce are free to comment on said speech, just as YOU are free to whine about it. Get it?

It would really be helpful for the ultra-patriots out there (unlike crazy ACLU liberals like me) to understand the basic premise of the laws of the country you profess to love so much.

And Chas, this doesn't look good. Schilling's yesterday's news pal. And I know you were trying to be nice, but there's no way he sniffs the Hall until they let Jack Morris, Bert Blyleven and probably Tommy John in. Blyleven and Morris were every bit the pitcher (the former better, IMO) Schilling was.

Posted by Jay B. September 25, 08 05:33 PM
  1. Wow, Mr. Bailey. I didn't know who you were before I read your attack piece, and now I know better than to read your garbage again. I love sports in order to get away from the hate-driven politics people of your ilk have wrought upon us, and now I get to read your typical liberal sneering at Schilling... he's so stupid and you are so special. How predictable. Sprinkle in all your references to the old lie about the worst president, about Fox News, against Sarah Palin and hate shots against McCain. Don't you have a Barack the Messiah rally to attend?

Posted by Steve G September 25, 08 05:45 PM
  1. Pierce -- you are a liberal loser......I am sure if Schilling was suporting your beloved Obama you wouldn't be pissing all over him......we love Schilling just the way he is -- or would you rather have a say nothing/do nothing automon like A-Rod ? Keep on blogging Curt -- and keep on giving us your opinions......and Pierce -- if you don't like Curt's blog-- don't read it -- I certainly don't usually read your warmed over drivel masquerading as writing.

Posted by Rob Skovholt September 25, 08 06:15 PM
  1. If you did some actual research, you will find that starting with legislation passed during the Carter administration and through to the present day with some unGodly corruption, the Democrats are thereason we are in this mess. They are the group that wrote and passed legislation that required banks to relax their standards so that people that had no business getting loans received them.

If you weren't such a bed wetting liberal fool, you would be aware of the truth and be man enough to admit it.

Schilling does a lot of talking, that much is true. It must drive you nuts when he is right.

Posted by Ken September 25, 08 06:29 PM
  1. Smarter than You: You're just a liberal commie wannabe snob who lives in government housing and has 4 computers, aren't you? I bet you still live with your mom.

Posted by Dr Hook September 25, 08 06:31 PM
  1. Lets put all the liberals on a boat and send them to Cuba.

Posted by Mary Cranston September 25, 08 06:42 PM
  1. amen, Cranston.

Posted by feen the dog September 25, 08 08:07 PM
  1. #118 Ken : YOU ROCK. Carter was a very nice man, with very very bad ideas, similar to Obama. The difference is Obama hangs with anti-Americans.

Posted by ZerObama September 25, 08 08:19 PM
  1. The market on intolerance is cornered by liberal "thinkers." If Curt Schilling had spouted all the correct lefty nonsense during his time in Boston instead of his more conservative views, he would have been celebrated as a Renaissance man who not only could pitch but opine sensibly as well.

Let's get this straight: Manny may have been important in the Red Sox' ultimate WS breakthrough, but Schill was indispensible. He brought, not only the best clutch pitching of my lifetime as a Sox fan (I'm 61), but he brought an attitude as well. Without Curt Schilling, the championship drought is at ninety years and counting. You may mock the bloody sock because you live in Mass. and not the USA and you hate Curt's politics, but that bloody sock is the single most riveting visual symbol of what it took to get over fourscore and six years of inferiority, ennui and general suffering of the sado-masochistic Red Sox Nation.

Posted by Jim Nagle September 25, 08 09:32 PM
  1. hi

Posted by lee September 25, 08 09:33 PM
  1. Charlie you belong on MSNBC ! No matter what you say about Curt's politics I would take him over you and Manny any day.

Posted by Bob Coppola September 25, 08 09:48 PM
  1. Democrats. Republicans. Both parties have done nothing to make the country better over the last twenty years. During the DOC they replayed a speech by Ed Kennedy spouting the same ideas that "our " government has tried to establish for thirty years. All they do is argue, accomplish nothing and leave us with arguably the biggest financial crisis in OUR lifetime. They can not even come together to solve this problem. They are disgusting. BY THE WAY... LOVE OR HATE SCHILLING, HIS POLITICS, OR HIS LOCKEROOM PRESENCE, WITH OUT HIM, WE WOULD STILL BE SUBJECTED TO THE "1918" CHANTS FROM YANKEE FANS AND WORST OF ALL (FROM PERSONAL EXPERIANCE).... PHILLIES FANS

Posted by Eric W September 25, 08 11:31 PM
  1. you did your job. you got 120 plus to respond. this is just another opinion that doesn't matter just like yours doesn't and schillings doesn't and the other opinions expressed in the responses do not matter. if opinions mattered we would have two other presidential candidates. i will not do anything to advance the future of this country and neither will any of the others who responded to your article because we spend our time on line with things like this. i am not surprised that so many people take this so seriuosly and think their response means something. i hope none of them vote. the people i want to vote are the ones who pay attention to the issues and what the candidates plan to do. not people like me who have nothing better to do than this.

Posted by russ September 25, 08 11:48 PM
  1. First of all, Curt was instrumental in winning the 2004 WS. I thank him from the bottom of my soul.

Next, Curt's shilling for McCain is great. He backed Bush twice, we know how that turned out; Curt's vote for McCain is a clear signal to vote for Obama. This isn't about culture wars, this is about calm and steady leadership.

Posted by BCC September 26, 08 01:19 AM
  1. Another good reason not to read the Globe anymore.
    Your writers are so angry and hostile

Posted by lcrooker September 26, 08 01:29 AM
  1. "Sporting the ponytail"??? Anyone who's ever seen him on TV can tell he's as bald as a billiard ball. You need a new set of rabbit ears. I have it on good authority from a friend of mine who used to write the "Cakes are Cooking" column in the Boston Herald that Pierce lost all his hair when he was adjusting his outboard motor during the Mariel boat lift. And as my Papa used to say,"If you see it in The Herald, it's so." (Or, as Mary Cranston would say, "its so")

Posted by Mrs. Virginia O'Hanlon September 26, 08 02:15 AM
  1. this guy has to be the biggest douchebag i've ever seen

Posted by Dr Douche September 26, 08 03:18 AM
  1. The conservatives and liberals since Nixon have both wanted bank deregulation. I think it's awesome that americans still think that elected officials in this country give a crap about us. Conservatives and liberals alike need to stop pointing fingers and realize that its all been bought and paid for. As long as special interest groups are handing out the cash we will continue to be nothing more than an after thought.

Posted by Jim September 26, 08 05:49 AM
  1. Oh my gosh. Republicans are allowed to be Sox fans. All of Mass isn't liberal?

I get tired of you people. Curt does talk too much, I even agree with him but that's just Curt being Curt.

Posted by Will September 26, 08 07:22 AM
  1. What a fucking joke. You review all your comments. I hope you approve.

Posted by Will September 26, 08 07:24 AM
  1. I like to hear sports figures speak in meaningless cliches ... often hypocritical pap so no one will be offended.

Schilling giving his honest opinions is disgusting! If he can't speak The Insipid Sportstalk ... he should shut up!

Posted by Angelo Venti September 26, 08 08:03 AM
  1. schilling and his wife do alot of great things for different charitys and he will always be loved in this town.....deal with it!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by jerry September 26, 08 08:46 AM
  1. Charlie, you are a talented writer. You might try writing something nice and see how that goes sometime. And you might put something in about the time and money Curt gives to his charities when you mention the checks he is cashing. Oh, and I think you may be an example of a species left out of the wolf/sheepdog/sheep analogy, the ass.

Posted by JK Campbell September 26, 08 09:11 AM
  1. Sadly, 'free speech' is no guarantee of intellgent speech. The venom from both sides of the political spectrum here is really depressing.

Liberal isn't the problem. Conservative isn't the problem. Hatefulness is the problem. Substituting vicious cleverness for thoughtfulness and compassion is the problem.

By the way; Curt, there are things about you I like and things I don't. That's my problem, not yours.

Posted by NEKSox September 26, 08 09:14 AM
  1. Mr Pierce: If Mary Jo Kopechne were alive today, would she would find comfort in your wry but vapid writing?

By the way, Schilling has done more good for people in need than every last one of your lefty cohorts at the Globe, combined.

Posted by Big C September 26, 08 10:13 AM
  1. Let's put all the conservatives on a time machine and send them to Nazi Germany.

Wow, that doesn't make much sense does it? Neither did Mary's last comment.

Schilling can deliver the BS but he and his drones sure as hell can't take it, can they? Puss wads? Tee hee!

Posted by Jon September 26, 08 11:05 AM
  1. LOL! Great piece Charlie - the image of the carnival chicken will stay with me for a long time. The only sad part is that Schilling will probably some day transform his sports celebrity into a successful run for public office.

That said, it's becoming pretty tiresome to have to sift through the angry, right wing nonsense that pops up on these boards so often. While I suppose that clueless ideologues will always be emboldened by anonymity, and secretly thrilled to see their messages posted on a website, I wish they would confine their comments to the subject at hand, and save the frothing, name-calling vitriol for a different forum.

Posted by flip September 26, 08 11:18 AM
  1. actually, let's put the Libs on a plane and drop them in the middle of Islamabad.....they'll fit right in........

Posted by Scott September 26, 08 11:49 AM
  1. Wow... ANOTHER liberal media obamatron slamming McCain and those who support him in any way and any where possible, no matter how inappropriate??? QUELLE SURPRISE

Posted by Another Baystater for MCCAIN/PALIN September 26, 08 02:49 PM
  1. Just curious, where can I access the article you wrote blasting Matt Damon for airing his political views? Or, if you wish to defend this hack piece, perhaps you could explain to me why an actor's oppinion is any more relevent than an athlete's.

Just another example of a left-wing, Obama Kool-Aid drinking, beret wearing, Marxism spouting kook "journalist" taking cheap shots at anyone that dares to disagree with your negative, radical politics of personal attacks. I think Saul Alinsky would be proud of your mindless use of his methodology.

As for your comment that Mr. Schilling should absent himself and his opinions for the benefit of everyone. What, in your opinion, makes anything you write more suitable for public consumption? Is it that you are a professional writer and therefore your opinions are to be respected without question? Or is it that you don't support the First Ammendment rights of people with differing views? I tend to think it is the later.

Keep up the good work. With a few more pieces like this, I'm sure that you will hit the big time. Yep, your very own little corner of thedailykos.com. Or maybe moveon.org will ask you to coach their softball team. I hear they have a big "battle" next week against code pink. And by battle I mean a race to see which side is the first to forfeit.

Posted by K Williams September 26, 08 03:05 PM
  1. Fast and easy, we know, produces wrecks: FDA fast-track cures, home-lent balloons, sex romps, et al.

But no "feasy", "fast and easy", endeavor more feasibly, predictably summons disaster, even daily, than unlimited untried entries by an unaccountable Web readership to a modified, not improved, (quasi-)news cycle of: 1st party opinion; 2nd party invariably attempts to disembowel 1st party, or his subject, via ill-informed, ill-conceived diatribe; 1st party re-sets.

Lazy minds are accommodated; polemics prevail; intellectual vigor atrophies.

Further, can't be certain "John Updike" respondent was in fact John.

I'm saying, what a mess.

Posted by Brian McHugh September 26, 08 04:02 PM
  1. Boy, we really are a nation divided, aren't we?

Frank Zappa once described a rock critic as someone who can't write interviewing someone who can't talk in order to write for someone who can't read.

Wonder if this applies to sportswriters . . . .

Posted by rpc September 26, 08 04:28 PM
  1. OK, I get it, Mr Schilling is a Republican and you are a Democrat. That means your opinion is to be respected, and his is to be ridiculed. Let me know if I’ve missed the point of this “article”.
    How assinine. If you have a specific bone to pick with the guy, bring some facts, bring some passion, and have at him! Otherwise this seems nothing more than an elitist hit piece. Was this supposed to be journalism? Instead of hiding ( albeit without success) behind a thin veil of objectivity, why don't you come clean, and say what you really mean. After all, that's what Mr Schilling is doing. He's not hiding. He's putting his views, for right or wrong, out there for public consumption and dissection. In the end, at least he's being honest. All I see from this " article" is the screed of a coward.

Posted by Steve Gwara September 26, 08 10:49 PM
  1. Hey Charles P. Pierce ... I read virtually the same column a couple of seeks ago online at Sports Illustrated ....

How about coming up with something fresh?

Posted by Joseph Doakes September 27, 08 08:35 AM
  1. dude that is just crazyi would not fit in in islamabad.

Posted by sime September 28, 08 12:02 AM
  1. remember what he did for the red sox

Posted by herb kaplan September 28, 08 08:16 AM
  1. So, would you rather have barney Frank, or Curt Schilling in office? teddy kennedy or Curt?

Curt's a stand up guy, and is honest.

Not like those 2 whores.

Posted by Mike from NJ September 28, 08 12:41 PM
  1. Thank you, Charlie. I feel the exact same way.

As an aside, comment #5 is extremely ironic and humorous coming from someone who logged on as John Updike.

Posted by Eric Robert King September 28, 08 02:12 PM
  1. Schill did alot for The Sox, what did Charlie Pierce do??

Posted by Jersey Sox Fan September 29, 08 02:13 PM
  1. "What's more of an affront is your writing. It's the worst kind of cheeky "Aren't I clever" drivel."

Absolutely. What an endless, trite piece of garbage. Just awful. The Globe publishes this?

Posted by Mister Snitch September 29, 08 07:39 PM
  1. Hey, Curt is Curt. He says what he thinks. I happen to think he's usually a sincere person. I do understand why people disagree with him. But when you talk politics from any angle a lot of people are going to disagree with you.

The man came here and delivered the goods. We needed someone to give us that extra edge to clear the hurdle and he did about all you can ask. Every time he put the uniform on he gave it everything he had.

Posted by Bob McNeil September 30, 08 08:32 PM
  1. I waited 40 years for the Sox to win the Series and Curt Schilling nearly ruined my euphoria by going out and stumping the next day for the criminal cabal that's running our country into the ground and, incidentally, trying to loot the treasury on their way out.

Posted by hursty September 30, 08 11:24 PM
  1. I'm tired of people making this a right or left thing, regardless the topic.

I don't care if Schilling is a republican or a democrat. He is a blowhard

Posted by Pedro Martinez October 1, 08 03:18 PM
  1. The Schillings do *everything* they do for self-aggrandizement--behind the scenes you see past their false piety. And you can count on both of them in the political arena. I'm sure Palin is a real inspiration to Shonda, who had already made her intentions known in private. We can ignore Curt's blowhard blogging, but once they start campaigning we'll be hard-pressed to avoid their drivel.

Posted by Betsy Brewer October 12, 08 05:18 PM