There were no hurricanes or nor’easters, only sunny skies . . . and that was just the state’s new football playoff system. If the fall is the start of a year-long marathon, then we’re off to a great start. As the winter season starts, schools such as Barnstable, Newton North, and Chelmsford have an early lead thanks to teams that won state championships in volleyball, soccer, and swimming. Now it’s time to hand off the baton. Coaches understand there’s work to be done. They teach and encourage, push and prod, trying to turn teenagers into champions. For some, such as the Watertown and Walpole field hockey teams, the payoff is huge. Nothing can match the celebration enjoyed by a handful of teams and individuals this fall. Selecting 10 worthy success stories from a season filled with candidates isn’t easy. Here, in no particular order, are 10 we thought stood out.
- Choose another
- Page 1
- New playoff system scores a touchdown
- And speaking of touchdowns . . .
- Wait a second, Chelmsford is first
- Sweet 16 for Barnstable volleyball
- A first for Needham girls
- No end in site for Watertown streak
- For Newton North, patience pays off
- Boston kids await a new athletic director
- The next Keegan? How about Jake?
- Boston English?