With muggy conditions blanketing New England this afternoon, it was a bad day for baseball or softball. But in Concord, N.H., muggy was good enough for Eastern Independent foes Berwick Academy and Tilton School’s softball squads to square off.
The field got a little soggy after five innings, but by then Berwick had put the game out of reach, eventually rolling to a 16-5 win to improve to 4-0 for the season. Tilton fell to 1-3.
Freshman pitcher Katie Wheeler remained perfect (4-0), allowing just one run and two hits while fanning three in four innings pitched. With a fastball reaching the mid-50’s, she has struck out 34 of the 74 batters she’s faced in 2007.
Berwick was led at the plate by Matty Packard (4-4, triple, 5 RBIs, 1 run), Meghan Colittie (4-5, 3 RBIs) and Stacey McKinnon (2-5, 3 RBIs).
Here are some other highlights from around Eastern Mass.:
Bay State: Milton’s Dan Higgins scored his third goal, the game-winner with just two seconds left in the fourth quarter for a 6-5 win over Newton North.
Cape Ann: Newburyport’s Matt O’Connor hit the game-winner a minute into overtime for a 7-6 win over Lynnfield. Corey Ruane also netted a hat trick for Newburyport ... North Andover cruised to a 9-2 win over Triton on three-point efforts from Tyler Zahruiko and John Blackwell (both had two goals and an assist).
Catholic Conference: No. 11 BC High beat No. 16 Malden Catholic, 9-4, with a trio of two-goal efforts by Charlie Rizzo (one assist), Zach Gray and Taylor Sears. Captain Brian Pineau also had a goal and an assist.
Greater Boston: Peabody senior Eddie Leonard’s eight-point afternoon (five goals, three assists) lifted the No. 18 Tanners to a 10-4 win over Waltham.
ISL: Thayer’s Malin King scored a hat trick in a 6-3 win over St. Paul’s.
Tri-Valley: No. 5 Medfield beat Medway, 9-6, on the efforts of sophomore Will Nesbitt (three goals, two assists) and Greg Bols (two goals).
Bay State: Weymouth’s Rob Sinewick made 21 kills, while setters James Gendrolis and Chris Rogerson combined for 32 points (Gendrolis 17, Rogerson 15), in a 3-2 win over Framingham ... Norwood beat Needham, 3-0, behind 35 assists from Pat Helmas and 17 kills from Joe Gallo.
Boston City: Brighton made a clean sweep, beating both Madison Park and West Roxbury by scores of 3-0. In the Madison game, Francis Olvokan and Rafael Chelstowski each had 11 kills, while Jeffrey Owie made 17 assists. In the Westie game, setter Kevin Lopez made 18 points and Bin Chan had 15 assists.
Merrimack Valley: Chelmsford improved to 11-0 with a 3-1 win over Haverhill. DJ Olson had 14 kills and 52 digs, Jeremy Velazquez had 45 assists and 18 digs, and Charlie Britt amassed a whopping 62 digs.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.