- More team wrestling recaps: Division 1 | Division 3
- Click HERE for photos from the team wrestling championships
MARLBORO -- Despite opening the Division 2 team wrestling state championship with six consecutive wins to build a 30-point cushion, Greater Lawrence had to hold on for dear life as it fended off a furious North Attleboro rally and emerged with a 36-32 triumph.
Greater Lawrence watched Matt Buco (103), Miguel Guzman (112), and Franchesco Ortiz (119) open the contest with three consecutive pins and it appeared the Reggies would breeze.
Instead, the Red Rocketeers registered pins from Brett Poirier (140) and Kyle Senechal (145). North Attleboro ultimately won seven of the final eight matches, but Brian Rivera's pin -- wrestling at 152 pounds after Chris Delarosa bumped to 160 -- might have saved Greater Lawrence.
After Kyle Kummer won by technical fall over Victor Sosa at 189 pounds, Greater Lawrence led just 36-26 with two matches to go. Despite a couple of injury timeouts, Greater Lawrence's Jason Orsini was able to avoid being more than decisioned, meaning North couldn't get enough points to tie or pull ahead in the final match.
Orsini persevered despite some nagging injuries (shoulder, ankle, knee) and needing a break for some puffs on his inhaler. North Attleboro's Joshua Wainwright was desperate for the pin early, then started to rack up points while trying to get a major decision.
Orsini wouldn't allow it.
Here are the final results (updated with lineup changes):
- 103 pounds: Matt Buco (GL) pinned Joe Krzyezk (NA) (3rd)
- 112 pounds: Miguel Guzman (GL) pinned Mickey Taylor (NA) (1st)
- 119 pounds: Franchesco Ortiz (GL) pinned Cory Devlin (NA) (1st)
- 125 pounds: Brian Nadeau (GL) decisioned Matt Turcotte (NA), 12-0
- 130 pounds: Ray Diaz (GL) decisioned Rayshawn Green (NA), 7-6
- 135 pounds: Saul Orellana (GL) major decisioned Chris Hanifan (NA), 17-7
- 140 pounds: Brett Poirier (NA) pinned Jonathan De Los Santos (GL) (2nd)
- 145 pounds: Kyle Senechal (NA) pinned Isaac Sosa (GL) (3rd)
- 152 pounds: Brian Rivera (GL) pinned Jessie Kummer (NA) (2nd)
- 160 pounds: Chris Chretien (NA) decisioned Chris Delarosa (GL), 5-3
- 171 pounds: Phil Tyron (NA) defeats Angel Rivera (GL) (injury)
- 189 pounds: Kyle Kummer (NA) technical falled Victor Sosa (GL), 17-2
- 215 pounds: Joshua Wainwright (NA) decisioned Jason Orsini (GL), 10-5
- 285 pounds: Mike D'Attilio (NA) decisioned Chris Sharpe (GL), 11-4
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.