Much like the first match of the night here in Marlborough, Lowell took a back-and-forth battle and turned it into a laugher.
Lowell won four consecutive weight classes starting at 152 pounds, totaling three pins in that span, and running away with a 44-22 win over New Bedford in the Division 1 team wrestling state championship at Marlborough.
The Whalers led on four occasions early and trailed just 21-19 after Kyle Veale won a decision at 145 pounds. Lowel's Nick Bedard (152) and James Downing (160) produced back-to-back pins as Lowell opened some breathing room. Colm Sullivan registered a technical fall for five more points and Dave Hubert added another pin to make it 44-19.
Here are the results:
- 103 pounds: Corey Melo (NB) decisioned Andrew Gauthier (L), 11-1
- 112 pounds: Brandon Gauthier (L) pinned Mitch Gauvin (NB) (2nd)
- 119 pounds: Kenny Francis (NB) pinned Ryan Ahearn (L) (2nd)
- 125 pounds: Christian McCarthy (L) decisioned Curtis Gomes (NB), 2-1
- 130 pounds: Victor DeJesus (L) pinned Jason Fredette (NB) (1st)
- 135 pounds: Dante Rose (NB) pinned Frank McCarthy (L) (1st)
- 140 pounds: Evan Connors (L) pinned Eric Correia (NB) (2nd)
- 145 pounds: Kyle Veale (NB) decisioned Amadu Jalloh (L), 6-2
- 152 pounds: Nick Bedard (L) pinned Ty Morin (NB) (1st)
- 160 pounds: James Downing (L) pinned Williams Gilmour (NB) (3rd)
- 171 pounds: Colm Sullivan (L) technical falled Bobby Bulgar (NB), 15-0
- 189 pounds: Dave Hubert (L) pinned Mike DeOliveira (NB) (2nd)
- 215 pounds: Zach Chandanais (NB) decisioned Robert Kolley (L), 1-0
- 285 pounds: No contest
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.