Okay, so this day belongs to the hoopsters, but as we kill a little time before the start here, we wanted to pass along this video from yesterday's third round of Super 8 play.
In the clip, Waltham's Kyle Thomas scores what ended up being the lone goal of the Hawks' Super 8 stay in a loss against Reading. The team had endured a 174-minute scoreless streak before Thomas's tally 1:46 into the third period.
So, with nothing to lose, Waltham celebrated a bit. The Hawks emptied their bench and mobbed Thomas behind the net. They tried to play it off as a milestone goal, but the referees saw through the ploy and whistled Waltham for a bench minor.
After 174 scoreless minutes, 90 seconds seemed a small price to pay.
"We had a little fun emptying the bench,'" Maguire told the press following a 4-1 defeat. "We knew we were going to get a bench minor. The ref didn't buy that it was Kyle's 100th goal of the year.'"
- Click HERE to watch the video.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.