A quick snapshot of a handful of former local high school standouts and their fate in this year's NFL Draft:
- OL Gosder Cherilus, Somerville (Boston College) -- Cherlius got tabbed on Day 1 (1st round, 17th overall) by the Detroit Lions. The Globe's Craig Larson has the details.
- OL Breno Giacomini, Malden (Louisville) -- Giacomini got nabbed on Day 2 (5th round, 150th overall) by the Green Bay Packers.
- LB Jonathan Goff, St. John's Prep (Vanderbilt) -- Goff got selected on Day 2 (5th round, 165th overall) by the New York Giants.
- OL Mackenzy Bernadeau, Waltham (Bentley) -- Bernadeau got nabbed on Day 2 (7th round, 250th overall) by the Carolina Panthers. Bernadeau was one of the final selections of the 252 picks overall.
- QB Ricky Santos, Bellingham (Univeristy of New Hampshire) -- Santos was not drafted. Santos will sign a two-year free agent deal with the Kansas City Chiefs, according to his agent, Brad Blank.
Thoughts: What a weekend for the seemingly soon-to-be defunct Greater Boston League. The conference groomed three of the four local products tabbed in the draft in Somerville's Cherilus, Malden's Giacomini, and Waltham's Bernadeau. And don't forget Jonathan Goff's ties to Peabody (the former St. John's Prep star is listed as residing in the town that, until recently, competed out of the GBL).
It will be interesting to see if any other standouts from the region land free-agent offers in the coming days.
Click HERE to read more on locals picked in Day 2 of the draft.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.