SJP wins it, 11-6, over BC High.
Back with more -- both recaps and video -- on both of today's battles later.
SJP, 11-6 (1:34, 4th)
St. John's Prep pushed its lead as high as seven, but BC High just struck for a pair of late goals (finally showing some sparks on offense) and the visitors lead, 11-6, with 1:34 to play.
SJP, 9-4 (9:26, 4th)
St. John's Prep erupted for three goals in a span of just 19 seconds to blow the roof right off this game.
The visitors attacked after each faceoff and the goals simply snowballed, putting this game essentially out of reach as the Prep leads, 9-4, with 9:26 to go.
SJP, 6-3 (end of 3rd)
St. John's Prep strikes for two third-period goals to extend its lead and boasts a 6-3 advantage over BC High heading to the final frame.
BC High is still struggling to find itself offensively, so playing from behind is anything but ideal, particularly against a very stingy SJP squad.
David Barton and Tyler Cash have both been rock solid in net.
SJP, 6-3 (0:58, 3rd)
St. John's Prep got a fluky goal when the ball managed to hop in the net after BC High keeper David Barton made the initial save, then John Jennings added another tally a short time later as the visitors have expanded their lead to 6-3 with 58 seconds to play in the third quarter.
SJP, 4-3 (half)
Welcome to James Cotter Field at Viola Stadium.
St. John's Prep leads BC High, 4-3, coming out of the intermission. Glad to see we didn't miss one team pulling away.
Back with more throughout the second half.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.
- Waiting for Twitter...