All this week we'll be posting video highlights from the 2008 Globe All-Scholastics awards banquet, which featured New England Patriots tight end Benjamin Watson as the keynote speaker.
Watson mixed plenty of humor into his speech that encouraged the student-athletes to enjoy the journey throughout their high school and college careers. Below, check out a highlight reel from Watson's speech, which includes his thoughts on tracking down Champ Bailey during the 2005 playoffs, comments on Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, and a light moment after the speech in which Globe High School Sports Editor Bob Holmes draws the ire of the crowd with a jab at the 2007 Patriots.
For the full, 16-minute version of Watson's introduction and speech, click HERE.
We'll have much more video throughout the week. Here's the tentative plan:
- Monday: Ben Watson's speech
- Tuesday: Brian Morrissey's speech
- Wednesday: Meredith Frank's speech
- Thursday: Athlete of the Year presentations
- Friday: More highlights from this year's banquet
For those of you who attended the event, we hope you had as much fun as we did. We'll also try to post the season highlight video that ran on the big screens at the start of Sunday's program.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.