(From left): Nancy Kelley, Anne Rodenbaugh, Sue Lamont, and Jimmy Brown, a group of Natick residents who collected 1,400-plus signatures to keep the Natick mascot name "Redmen." (Globe File Photo)
So it appears the Natick sports teams will indeed go by the moniker "Red & Blue" starting this fall. Actually, we still haven't gotten official word if it's the word "and" or an ampersand in the middle there, but that's beyond the point.
We don't get the feeling it's going to go over well by those who were in favor of keeping the Redmen nickname. This article seems to suggest Redmen fever will still run rampant when the football team kicks off at home on Sept. 12.
Natick opens it season on Saturday evening against Newton North at Bentley College in Waltham.
Got a better name (or just want to rant about this one). Leave a note in the comments section.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.