When Natick basketball coach Tim Collins stepped down last month, athletic director Tom Lamb turned to a familiar face ... and name.
Natick yesterday named Darren Flutie as it's new boys' basketball coach. Out of 25 candidates, Flutie was selected for his passion and communication skills as a coach, according to Natick athletic director Tom Lamb.
Flutie, younger brother of former Natick and Boston College coach Doug Flutie, is “extremely excited” about his new opportunity at NHS.
“I was probably more excited when my two kids were born, but I couldn’t be happier right now,” Flutie said.
Lamb, who is also the football coach at Natick, is confident in Flutie’s ability at coach after seeing him in the role with a youth football league.
“We’re excited to have him, he’s a wonderful human being,” Lamb said. “He’s great with kids. He’s a winner.”
Flutie has worked as a volunteer with the Natick football team for several seasons.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.