Fitchburg High Athletic Director and head football coach Ray Cosenza confirmed this morning that offensive tackle Keith Bourne has verbally committed to Boston College.
Bourne, a 6-foot-4, 275-pound senior, has been a starter on the offensive line since 2006, and last year played a crucial role in the Red Raiders' 9-3 season that ended in a last-second loss to Shrewsbury in the Div. 1 playoffs. Fitchburg is 6-4 this season, with a playoff berth again on the line as they await archrival Leominster on Thanksgiving.
He was offered a scholarship Thursday by BC head coach Jeff Jagodzinski, and accepted almost immediately. Bourne chose the Eagles over UConn, Temple and UMass.
Bourne is Fitchburg's first BC commit since Keith Leavitt, a 1998 Parade All-American who played along the Eagles' offensive and defensive lines during his career from 1999 to 2003.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.