Lincoln-Sudbury senior Justin Quinn has confirmed that he made a verbal commitment to Rollins College for baseball, earlier tonight.
One of his teammates, Derek Lowe, verballed to William and Mary last August, and is expected to sign at National Letter of Intent with the Tribe tomorrow, the first day of the non-football early-signing period.
Quinn, a shortstop who also plays alongside Lowe on the Warriors’ football team, chose the school in Winter Park, Fla., over Northeastern and University of Maine, where former teammate and Globe Division 1 Player of the Year Kevin Scanlan currently pitches. Quinn said he will also be signing “probably in a few days”.
“I went down for an official visit last weekend. Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to play baseball in the south, so that definitely had a huge impact on my decision,” Quinn said. “I liked the campus. It was real nice, and welcoming.
“Plus, the weather had a huge factor in it,” he added with a laugh. “Especially for a kid from Boston.”
Quinn batted .302 with five home runs and 15 RBIs last spring for the Warriors, who went 17-4 and lost to Lowell in the first round of the Division 1 North Sectionals.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.