Hockey season already?
Yes, one day after the winter sports season culminated with the high school football Super Bowls (some of which are still scheduled today at Worcester State College), the high school hockey season drops the puck at the Reagan Hockey Summit at the New England Sports Center in Marlborough.
From today's Globe:
Starting at 11 a.m., roughly 1,200 players from 62 boys' and girls' teams from across the state will be lacing up their skates and taking to the ice on one of the five sheets at New England Sports Center. The teams will arrive in at least 40 buses, equipped with 1,200 hockey bags, and 2,400 sticks.
Duxbury High and St. John's Prep will square off at 11:40. Nearly eight hours later, Billerica and Walpole will play the final "minigame" (two 12-minute periods) of what promises to be an exciting showcase for high school hockey in the state.
Players and coaches will also participate in educational workshops and seminars, along with a midday stadium-style presentation in the 2,000-seat Rink 1, with the featured speakers including Boston Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli, Boston College men's and women's coaches Jerry York and Katie King, respectively, and Babson College men's coach Jamie Rice.
For a complete list of today's games, check out the pairings.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Waiting for Twitter...