BC High senior CoreyThomas broke Greg Gonsalves's 28-year-old meet record of 7 feet, 1/4 inches in the high jump by clearing 7- 1/2 to start the competition at the Reggie Lewis Center Sunday.
Thomas was a half-inch short on his first attempt at the record. On his second, his legs knocked the bar off. But on his final try, Thomas cleared the bar and landed clean on the blue cushion below. Thomas shot his left fist in the air victoriously.
Globe photographer Jay Connor captured a nice sequence of one of Thomas's failed leaps, but check out the video above to marvel at the majesty of his leap. As the Globe's Dan Shaughnessy wrote in Wednesday's Globe: Imagine. Thomas is only 6 feet tall and he can jump over Kevin Garnett.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.