When all is said and done next February, BB&N's Blake Barker might be one of the only players in the state's history to lay claim to having offers from both the University of Florida and University of Tennessee.
The 6-foot-6, 235-pound junior tight end/defensive end from Wellesley went down for a visit to Gainesville from Tuesday to Thursday of this week and came back with a scholarship offer from Florida head coach Urban Meyer. A little while later, Tennessee head coach Lane Kiffin made an offer.
That brings Barker's scholarship offers to a grand total of 10, including Boston College, Penn State, Syracuse, Rutgers and North Carolina. Should he sign with either UT or UF, that would mark the second straight year this state has sent a tight end to the SEC. Dartmouth's Arthur Fontaine, a 2008 Globe All-Scholastic, signed with Georgia this past February.
Barker's teammate and co-captain, Winchester native Jimmy McCaffrey, also has an offer from Stanford, a school he is considering heavily. Northwestern, BC, Oregon, UConn and UNC have also shown interest.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.