One of the most challenging parts of compiling a nightly high school roundup is trying to cram as many results and standout performances into the space allotted in the paper. As an example, on Tuesday night, the Globe received well over 100 scores called in from games across Eastern Mass (as you can see on our daily scoreboard page), but only 18 of those games made today's print edition roundup.
We believe every game has a story and now we're hoping to tell you all of those stories.
Starting last night, we debuted a new feature that aims to bring you at least a snapshot of every game that's called into the Globe. Beneath many of the scores received last night, you'll see a link for a "story." Follow the link to read a highlight from that game.
In many cases, you'll find a single-sentence summary. It's our hopes that these stories will expand in the coming weeks as we try to bring you more details from each game.
But, as always, this is a two-way street. Now, more than ever, we encourage coaches to phone in your daily results to the Globe at (617) 929-2860 and please provide as many details as you can. Depending on the volume of calls on a given night, we can't always guarantee we can take all of your information, but we'll do our best to cram as many details as we can. (On those busy nights, we also encourage you to email us with additional highlights, but, as always, please call to confirm receipt).
For an example, check out the screenshot below. Clicking the highlighted story link from the scoreboard page brings up the recap displayed immediately below.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.