Wayne Simpson of Lawrence Academy, right, and Jillian Dempsey of The Rivers School, left, flank Bruins great Cam Neely.
A pair of Independent School League senior standouts, Wayne Simpson of Lawrence Academy in Groton and Jillian Dempsey of The Rivers School in Weston, were the recipients of the 2009 John Carlton Award at last night's Bruins' game against the Lightning.
A 5-foot-11 forward from Boxborough who has committed to Union College, Simpson powered Lawrence to a 27-6-0 record this season and the quarterfinals of the Division 1 New England Prep Tournament.
A four-time all-ISL selection from Winthrop headed to Harvard, Dempsey had 43 goals and 20 assists this season, capping off a prolific career in which she totaled 98 goals and 80 assists. This year the ISL MVP helped lead Rivers to a 17-5-3 record as well as a top seed seed at the New England Preparatory School Athletic Council (NEPSAC) tournament.
The Carlton Award, named in honor of the late Bruins scout and administrator, is presented annually to the outstanding male and female student-athlete in Eastern Massachusetts who combine exceptional hockey skills with academic excellence.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.