Brighton senior Lorenzo Cruz slides home safely during Monday's game. (Dina Rudick / Globe Staff)
Madison Park rallied from a five-run deficit over the final two innings to stun Brighton, 11-10, and capture the Boston City League baseball championship at Boston English High School.
Here's more from the Globe's Evan MacDonald. Read his full game story online.
All season, the Madison Park baseball team has made a habit of coming back to win late. On the biggest stage yet for the Cardinals, they dug deep once more to bring home the first Boston City League championship in program history.
Giovanni Abreu's line single to center field in the bottom of the seventh capped a six-run rally over the final two innings and gave Madison Park (16-4) an 11-10 victory over Brighton (13-7) yesterday at Boston English High.
"I was just looking for a sacrifice fly, or to get on base," Abreu said. "We've been trying to win [the city championship] for four years, and we finally got it this year."
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Waiting for Twitter...