Former All-Scholastic Gerard Coleman is headed to Providence. (Globe File Photo)
Former West Roxbury standout and Globe Super Teamer Gerard Coleman has committed to Providence College, according to published reports. The 6-foot-3, 185-pound shooting guard -- who now plays for the Tilton School in New Hampshire -- offered his verbal commitment to Friars coach Keno Davis this past weekend.
“I was all set with Providence and didn’t want to risk losing my spot with them,” Coleman told the Providence Journal. “I like the way they play. There’s a lot of good times to come at Providence.”
Coleman, who was also considering Clemson and UConn, will be a senior at Tilton in the fall. He is the 63d-ranked prospect on ESPN's Top 100 for the class of 2010.
Coleman earned Globe Super Team honors two winters ago when, as a junior at West Roxbury, he averaged 27 points, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists per game. He departed for Tilton the following season.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.