BB&N's Jimmy McCaffrey (22) committed early to Boston College.
BB&N wide receiver / defensive back James McCaffrey today committed to Boston College.
According to BB&N coach John Papas, McCaffrey -- a junior who will not enter college until the fall of 2010 -- was offered by the Eagles on Friday afternoon and, after talking to his parents over the weekend, called Sunday to announce his attentions. This morning, McCaffrey visited The Heights to offer an in-person commitment to coach Frank Spaziani inside the Eagles' football office.
"This is a tremendous choice for Jimmy, as Boston College has been his No. 1 choice since his unofficial visit in January," Papas said via email. "He loves the coaching staff and players, and looks forward to helping BC continue their quest for an (Atlantic Coast Conference) championship. On the flip side, BC is getting an explosive football player that can help on both sides of the ball as well as a returner in the kicking game. His 4.4 speed, combined with a great work ethic, is something the Eagles will love to have for the next four years."
McCaffrey sparked BB&N to undefeated 2009 campaign that culminated with a 20-13 triumph over Lawrence Academy in the ISL championship tilt.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.