"That was the best game he played all year, and that's what you need in the state finals," Palmer coach Carlos Batista said.
A corner kick by Sam Atwood was launched into a pack in the box, where the ball squirted loose. Swiatlowski came out and challenged with a slide but Toczylowski was able to get a foot on it and tap home the eventual game winner with just 11:54 remaining in the game.
"They were just fortunate to get the ball before we did," Batista said. "It wasn't the prettiest goal, but they all count."
Palmer really didn't manage any form of offensive attack all night and couldn't muster anything over the final minutes. The Patriots won the state championship again for the second time in three years despite being a completely different team.
"It's a complete reload from 2006 which says something about the program," Pavlik said. "To take another whole group of kids three years apart is pretty special."
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.