With 8:33 remaining in the second quarter, Walpole's Ryan Izzo scored on a 2-yard run to become the leading scorer in Massachusetts high school football history. Izzo set up the record-breaking score on a 52-yard pass out of the Wildcat formation to quarterback Peter Bowes. He added the extra point for good measure as Walpole took a 14-7 lead.
The lead didn't last long, however, as Natick hit on an 84-yard pass from Scott McCummings to Robbie Jackson and the score was 14-14 at the half. Then McCummings went to work again, scoring on a 23-yard run and Natick was up, 21-14, after three quarters.
Earlier, after one quarter of play, it was 7-7 but Izzo didn't have the touchdown, just the extra point. David Conroy scored for Walpole on a 61-yard pass reception (followed by Izzo's extra point). And the Natick score is by CJ Dawson on a 2-yard run.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.