Whether you prefer the court or the ice, and even the pool, there's a few events to note this week.
Catholic Memorial, the Globe's No. 1 team in the region, and St. John's Prep, the No. 7 team, will be playing each other at 7:20 p.m. Wednesday at Ristuccia Arena in Wilmington. It's a rescheduled game the two teams were supposed to play Jan. 2.
Catholic Memorial (9-2-1) downed the last No. 7 team, Malden Catholic, 4-2 Saturday after going into the third period tied 1-1.
St. John's Prep (5-5-1) is second in the Catholic Conference.
No. 1 St. Mary's vs. No. 9 Woburn girls hockey, Wednesday. A rematch of last year's division 1 state championship, won by St. Mary's.
No. 3 Hingham vs. No. 6 Duxbury girls hockey wednesday. Two top 10 girls hockey teams, each with just one loss. For Hingham, beginning of a brutal two-game stand that has them facing St. Mary's on Saturday.
No. 7 Madison Park vs. No. 6 East Boston in boys' basketball Thursday. Last time these two teams met, Eastie won in overtime. Both teams are in top 10.
Swimming -- Boston College High vs. St. John's Prep swimming Sunday at 7 p.m. at Harvard.
Defending state champion St. John's is unbeaten and faces Catholic Conference rival and unbeaten BC High for the conference title. This could be the best competition of the entire winter season. This is the first of three straight matchups between the schools with the Catholic Conference meet and the state championships also ahead.
Track and Field -- State Coaches Elite track meet Sunday at Reggie Lewis center. Best of the best in state line up in what is usually a great preview of the state championship next month.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.