Gatorade announced today that Mansfield High's Peter McGowan was named the Gatorade Massachusetts boys cross country runner of the year.
McGowan, if you recall, was the Globe's Division 1 All-Scholastic runner of the year. And he is most deserving.
I'll quote from our All-Scholastic package:
The top runner in the state this season, McGowan's 16:05.4 finish at All-States earned him the top spot in Northfield and helped Mansfield clinch the Division 1 team title. His 16:02 finish clinched the Division 2 EMass title, and he was also second at the Bay State Invitational.
McGowan's coach gave her remarks on the award.
“McGowan is a picture-perfect example of what hard work and perseverance can do for you,” said Mansfield High Head Coach Julie Collins in the Gatorade release. “He’s had to overcome a lot of physical adversity and I’ve never seen anyone work as hard to keep himself in shape and ready to succeed as much as him.”
According to the Gatorade release, McGowan has verbally committed to an athletic scholarship at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst this upcoming fall. He's kept a 3.61 GPA in school while partaking in various extracurricular activities.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.