When touchdown-machine Tino Perrina suffered a season-ending leg injury last season, Reading was expected to stumble down the stretch. Instead, Ryan Pollock stepped in as the starting running back and propelled the Rockets all the way to the Division 2 Super Bowl championship.
Pollock has decided he will be attending Tufts this fall to play football and possibly lacrosse.
In what amounted to not even a full season of play, Pollock ran for over 1,500 yards and scored 21 touchdowns while being named Middlesex League offensive MVP. It was the second time the two-time league all-star rushed for more than 1,000 yards in a season.
Pollock, also a two-time league all-star in lacrosse, may become an addition to an already solid Tufts lacrosse team as well.
Pollock hopes to study pre-med at Tufts.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.