Lynn English boys basketball coach Buzzy Barton has been suspended from coaching his team in the upcoming MIAA state tournament as well as the first 10 games of the 2010-2011 season. An MIAA hearing board from District A and B announced the decision this afternoon. The issue stems from a complaint filed by East Boston Headmaster Mike Rubin who alleged that a member of the Lynn English basketball staff recruited an East Boston student-athlete. The matter came before a board comprised of District A and District B officials last Friday in Malden. The hearing board issued its decision this afternoon. In addition to Barton's suspension the board added three more penalities:
1. Lynn English boys basketball assistant coach Simmie Anderson, the assistant who contacted the East Boston student, is ineligible until further notice from coaching any and all MIAA interscholastic sport teams.
2. Lynn English principal Andrew Fila will be sent a letter of reprimand citing his culpability in the recruitment of a student.
3. A letter will be sent to Lynn English athletic director Gary Molea instructing him to work with the Superintendent of Schools, Catherine Latham, to establish clear guidlines in regards to residency and the transfer of students in and out of Lynn schools.
The penalty called for by MIAA rule was reduced because Rubin asked that the Lynn players not be penalized for the actions of adults and because Latham acted quickly to suspend Anderson. The decision can be appealed.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.
- Waiting for Twitter...