Twice in two tries this year, the Archbishop Williams’ boys’ hockey squad eluded Arlington Catholic. Once, the Bishops came away with a 3-0 victory, and in the other meeting, Archies overcame an early deficit to force a 3-3 tie.
However, in the biggest meeting between the Catholic Central rivals, AC 1(4-7-4) didn’t leave much to chance, picking up a 3-0 first-period lead on the Bishops (16-6-2) en route to a 5-0 victory in the Division 1 state final.
The win also helped erase the memory of a 2-1 overtime loss to Springfield Cathedral in the D-1 finals a year ago.
“Last year we walked out of here on the wrong side of the coin, and it’s a long ride down that elevator, let me tell you,” Shine said. “We had many talks during the week about making sure that didn’t happen again.”
"It's really like getting a monkey off my back," senior John Needham said. "I've never
won a state championship before, and it feels great to get the first one."
The Cougars were led by their top line of seniors Paul Keho (1 goal, 1 assist), Michael
Settipani (1 goal, 1 assist), and Needham (1 goal, 2 assists).
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.