End of the game: Madison Park 72, Mansfield 60
The game ended unceremoniously ó at least for Mansfield. They went up against a machine in Madison Park, never coming to grips with the intensity of their opponents or finding an answer the man in the middle of it all, David Campbell.
Campbell dropped 29 points on the night, pacing Madison Park's offense throughout the game.
Fourth quarter: Madison Park 68, Mansfield 54
Mansfield's Fred baskin has hit two 3-pointers to help spur a small rally. But the game is already out of hand for the Hornets. They're down 14 with 1:28 left in the game.
And did I mention that MP's David Campbell now has 29 points on the night. One word: Unstoppable.
Fourth quarter: Madison Park 56, Mansfield 42
Madison Park now has its largest lead of the game, up by 14 points.
End of the third quarter: Madison Park 52, Mansfield 40
Madison park's David Campbell has 21 points on the night as his team has ran with the ebbs and flow of the game to continue to lead Mansfield entering the fourth quarter.
The big man down low is definitely a big reason for their success.
Third quarter: Madison Park 48, Mansfield 38
David Campbell is at it again. He's hit another shot while drawing a foul. This time he connected on the free throw for a 3-point play.
Third quarter: Madison Park 40, Mansfield 33
Mansfield just committed a shot-clock violation. They're having trouble picking their spots in the game, passing up on open looks for what I presume to be better shots.
End of second quarter: Madison Park 40, Mansfield 31
Kevin Stokes just caught a touchdown pass for a breakaway layup.
Meanwhile, it's been all uphill for their counterparts. Jeffrey Hill had a couple of nice breakaway baskets for Mansfield, but they're in a rut.
MP's senior Spencer Braithwaite and David Campbell are tied for the lead with all scorers 16 points apiece.
Second quarter: Madison Park 30, Mansfield 17
David Campbell has added a couple more buckets as Madison Park has increased its lead to 13 points.
End of first quarter: Madison Park 24, Mansfield 15
Madison Park's Spencer Braithwaite hits a 3-pointer with 1.7 seconds remaining. He's made a number of interesting shots for his team. But teammate David Campbell has been doing damage in the paint as Mansfield has struggled to keep up.
First quarter: Madison Park 6, Mansfield 6
Madison Park's 6-5 center David Campbell scored a couple of baskets in a row. He's the biggest man on the court and already looks like a point of emphasis for his team.
He's already got a foul too.
Itís tough to stop a team sporting a 17-game winning streak. But thatís exactly what Mansfield has up against them.
Madison Park (21-1) last lost to East Boston Jan. 5. They've been on a tear ever since.
Mansfield isn't too far off. The 21-2 Hornets are on a 14-game winning streak.
So stay tuned right here for game updates. You can also follow along on Twitter @GlobeSchools.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.