End of game: Malden Catholic 6, Catholic Memorial 5
Ryan Fitzgerald is the hero of the day. With a nice flick of the wrist, he unseated No. 1 Catholic Memorial with a shot just over a minute into overtime as Malden Catholic took the game, 6-5.
End of regulation: Malden Catholic 5, Catholic Memorial 5
We're going into overtime. Each team found the back of the net twice in the third period. Catholic Memorial's Troy Starrett got his second goal and David Lazaro scored as well.
Malden Catholic's Alex Minter and Justin Sencabaugh scored for their team.
End of the second period: Malden Catholic 3, Catholic Memorial 3
Catholic Memorial has stormed back into the game with two goals in the period. Dan O'Her and Brian Besinger both found the back of the net to help the Knights.
Malden Catholic's Mike Iovanna scored for his team.
End of the first period: Malden Catholic 2, Catholic Memorial 1
For the first time all tournament, Catholic Memorial is down after the first period. But it didn't come without the Knights striking first. In the first 30 seconds, Troy Starrett got loose for CM to put the Knights up.
Malden Catholic's Brendan Collier responded with two goals. Both teams had 10 shots in the first period.
LOWELL — Third game of the day is underway with No. 1 Catholic Memorial (2-0) taking on Malden Catholic (2-0).
Last game Malden Catholic played, they put up nine goals against Winchester in a blowout.
These two teams are already assured to move on to the crossover games.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @ZuriBerry for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Alex Hall | @AlexKHall | Baseball
- Colleen Casey | @ColleenCasey226 | Softball
- Mike Giesta | Boys lacrosse
- Catherine Calsolaro | @catrenee13 | Girls lacrosse
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Boys volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Waiting for Twitter...