Knox, a junior, notched 26 saves en route to his fourth shutout of the season, and first in tournament play.
Despite only putting five shots on net in the first, CM jumped out to a 1-0 lead. Knights’ defenseman Vinny Repucci drew the defense on a wrap around and dished, cross-crease, to forward Brian Besinger who beat AP goalie Brendan Leahy stick side.
Catholic Memorial 1 0 0 - 1
Austin Prep 0 0 0 - 0
Scoring: CM, Brian Besinger (Vinny Repucci, Matt Dalton) 9:59.
Saves: CM, Tommy Knox 26; AP, Brendan Leahy 26.
End of the second period: Catholic Memorial 1, Austin Prep 0
Catholic Memorial has gotten its shots on goal but Austin Prep goalie Brendan Leahy is held the fort down, keeping the Knights out of the net in what is usually their strongest period.
CM has 16 shots in the game while Austin Prep has 17. Austin Prep is having trouble capitalizing on opportunities around the net.
End of the first period: Catholic Memorial 1, Austin Prep 0
Catholic Memorial's Brian Besinger broke away for a goal at the 5:01 mark. He was assisted by Derek Colucci and Matt Dalton.
LOWELL — We've reached the final game of the tournament before the championship matchup is set. In the second game of today's doubleheader, No. 1 seed Catholic Memorial (2-1) is taking on No. 2 seed Austin Prep (2-1) to determine who will play Hingham in the championship Sunday at the Garden.
We'll be blogging between periods with videos of goals and live tweeting the game. Follow along at @GlobeSchools.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.