The Merrimack Valley Conference coaching landscape was put in a blender this week, with three schools in the 10-team conference guaranteed to have new head coaches this upcoming fall.
Leading the way was Jeff Moore, who jumped from Dracut which he built into arguably the conference's most successful program over the past two seasons, accepting the same position at Lowell. Coming off a 2-9 season, Lowell is a far cry from the championship contender he left at Dracut. The Middies captured the Division 1A championship two years ago and was just one win shy of making it back to Gillette last year.
The vacant position at Dracut has not been filled, and Moore did not immediately return a phone call seeking comment.
At Andover, interim head coach John Rex has been replaced by former Malden Catholic assistant coach E.J. Perry after a 6-5 year. Rex had to interview for the position along with other candidates last Saturday, and he said the change came as a surprise to him.
“I was looking forward to coaching them again,” said Rex. “Obviously, I wasn't in the plans. But it is what it is.
"I'm disappointed, but it's all about the kids," Rex continued. "I wish them the best.”
Rex has not made a decision on if he will stay on the coaching staff.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our fall correspondents:
- Anthony Gulizia | @gulizia_a | Div. 1 football
- Eric Russo | @erusso22 | Div. 2 football
- Stephen Sellner | @stephen_sellner | Div. 3 football
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Div. 4 football
- Greg Joyce | @GJoyce9 | Div. 5 football
- Lorenzo Recupero | @LorenzoRecupero | Div. 6 football
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls volleyball
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail email@example.com.