Natick High has selected former boys' basketball coach Tim Collins to replace the retiring Tom Lamb as athletic director.
“I have absolutely loved teaching and coaching in town,” said Collins, who currently teaches English at the high school. He said he’s looking forward to “the opportunity to remain at Natick High School and take on a new adventure.”
Natick principal John Hughes said Collins is "highly respected" among his students and peers.
“He's got quite a resume,” said Hughes. “He has the knowledge of the Bay State League having coached at Natick. He has knowledge of the college landscape. He has college contacts.”
Collins beat out two other finalists for the position, Dedham High AD Thomas Arria and Sandy Mincone, the AD at Martha’s Vineyard.
Tom Lamb "was a big piece of me coming back to Natick," said Collins. "He's been a huge resource for me and a great help."
A Walpole native, the 39-year-old Collins played basketball at Bates College. After college, he worked at his alma mater and coached the boys' basketball team. He worked as an assistant coach at Babson College before joining the Natick High faculty in 2003. He was the boys' basketball coach form 2005-2008.
An avid runner, he has run two marathons, including Boston, and competes in triathlons around New England.
His first day on the job is July 1. Mark Mortarelli, a longtime assistant under Lamb and a 1992 Natick High grad, has already been named head football coach.
Several reporters and editors contribute updates, news and analysis to the High School Sports Blog.
- Bob Holmes: A Reading resident (Go Rockets!) and Boston College graduate, Holmes is the Boston Globe High School Sports Editor. We remind you now that his weekly picks are often made in jest so everyone just calm down when he picks against Everett for 11 straight weeks. Contact him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeHolmes.
- Craig Larson: A native of West Springfield (Leo Durocher anyone? Tim Daggett?) and Curry College graduate (a proud Colonel!), Larson is the sports editor for the Globe's regional sections: South, West and North, as well as a frequent contributor on the college beat. Abington to Xaverian: it all starts with the schools. Have a compelling story idea? Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @GlobeLars.
- Zuri Berry: Berry attended the same high school as sports legends O.J. Simpson and Joe DiMaggio. (Guess which one is his hero.) He's a South Boston resident (formerly of Eastie) and the editor of the High School Sports blog as well as the go-to-guy for everything high school sports on Boston.com. Contact him at email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @GlobeSchools for all of the latest updates.
Then there are our winter correspondents:
- Emily McCarthy | @EmilyMcCahthy | BPS correspondent
- Jake Fischer | @GlobeFischer | Boys basketball
- Michelle Fenelon | @michfenelon | Girls basketball
- Andrew MacDougall | @Andy_MacDougall | Boys hockey
- Liz Torres | @etorres446 | Girls hockey
To reach the high school sports department, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.